Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Operation Whistlepig: how the CBP took down head of security for Senate Intel

Operation Whistlepig: how the CBP took down head of security for Senate Intel

Absolutely fascinating. I had no idea how Wolfe and the reporter Ali Watkins got caught.

https://news.yahoo.com/operation-whi...100000147.html

It was almost 10 p.m. on a Thursday night, and Ali Watkins was walking around the capital following instructions texted by a stranger. One message instructed her to walk through an abandoned parking lot near Washington, D.C.’s Dupont Circle, and then wait at a laundromat. Then came a final cryptic instruction: She was to enter an unmarked door on Connecticut Avenue leading to a hidden bar.

The Sheppard, an upscale speakeasy, was so dimly lit it was sometimes hard to see the menu, let alone a stranger at the bar. But amid the red velvet upholstery, Watkins, then a reporter at Politico, almost immediately spotted the man she was supposed to meet: He was wearing a corduroy blazer and jeans and had a distinctive gap between his teeth.

“I won’t tell you my name, but I work for the U.S. government,” he said, according to her account later provided to government investigators.

It was June 1, 2017, and Watkins was a rising star in the world of national security journalism, breaking big stories about the investigation into President Trump’s alleged ties to Russia. She had hopped from the Huffington Post to BuzzFeed and then Politico, when a man writing under the pseudonym Jack Bentley had reached out, wanting to meet with her. She agreed, as journalists often do, thinking he might be a potential source.

Once at the bar, however, she found that the man seemed more interested in gathering information about her than in providing her with information. And he appeared to know a lot about her, including details of her travels and her relationship with James Wolfe, an older man who worked on Capitol Hill.

The meeting, which lasted almost four hours, would change both of their lives. Late the following year, Wolfe, the onetime boyfriend of Watkins, was sentenced to two months in prison for lying to the FBI about his relationship with reporters. And Watkins, by then at the New York Times, faced ethical questions about her relationship with Wolfe, even though she denied he had been a source for her stories while they were involved.
    #RESIST

The Sheppard closed.

I personally suggest The Mirror for any further capers and mysterious meetups. The place is so dark they provide tacti-cool red lights underneath the bar for you to read the menu without giving away your position to Charlie or destroying your low-light vision, and the music is loud enough that nobody else will know what you and your contact are discussing.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The Sheppard closed.

I personally suggest The Mirror for any further capers and mysterious meetups. The place is so dark they provide tacti-cool red lights underneath the bar for you to read the menu without giving away your position to Charlie or destroying your low-light vision, and the music is loud enough that nobody else will know what you and your contact are discussing.
    Exotic looking beautiful woman with an unidentifiable accent: How did you pick the meeting location?

Me: [shrug] Some guy on a gun forum suggested it. I think he works for the government or something. Sounded cool.

Deeply unimpressed with Rambo's tradecraft.

This guy pays for drinks on the first meet with his own credit card then blames the bar for blowing his cover?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Deeply unimpressed with Rambo's tradecraft.

This guy pays for drinks on the first meet with his own credit card then blames the bar for blowing his cover?

Okie John
    Cash or prepaid. Duh.
    #RESIST

It's instructive to note that every person involved in this tale was doing things they shouldn't have been doing.

It's not surprising it ended up in pile of smoking wreckage.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    It's instructive to note that every person involved in this tale was doing things they shouldn't have been doing.

It's not surprising it ended up in pile of smoking wreckage.
    Since I first read an article about this whole cluster, it has been my go-to parable on the importance of staying in your lane, at both the individual and agency levels.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The Sheppard closed.

I was wondering about the "abandoned parking lot" near Dupont Circle myself. That CVS on the circle is the only thing that's been there for 20 years, everything else has changed ten times over as the DC real estate market is famously almost as tight as WLP's intern's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    I was wondering about the "abandoned parking lot" near Dupont Circle myself. That CVS on the circle is the only thing that's been there for 20 years, everything else has changed ten times over as the DC real estate market is famously almost as tight as WLP's intern's ass.
    Don't forget Kramer's Bookstore, the quintessential DC first date spot. That's been there since the 70s or so. I thought it was funny they went there.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

We can kid around all we want, but this is pretty disturbing to me on many levels.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List