Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Carry CZ SP-01: Condition 1 or 2?

How to Carry CZ SP-01: Condition 1 or 2?

I recently acquired a NIB CZ SP-01. I have never been much on DA/SA. I own a few for training purposes but I have mostly carried Glocks and H&K LEM pistols. My CZ has the safety as opposed to the decocker. For those who carry these, how do you carry it? Cocked and locked or hammer down for a DA first shot? Why?

Thanks.

Since it doesn’t have a decocker, your only option for DA/SA is to lower the hammer by pulling the trigger and easing the hammer down. This is an objectively terrible idea for administrative handling and simply impossible to do on the fly (as you would use a proper TDA pistol, hitting the decocker every single time you come off target).

So you have a recklessly dangerous administrative step, and then while you’re using the gun in a defensive context you’re running around with a cocked and unlocked pistol until the shooting stops. Even then, now you want to holster your gun, and you have to do that dangerous administrative task with an adrenaline dump and however many distractions working against you. No thanks.

Carry it SAO or look for a decocker or Omega version if you really like the gun.

Or. Carry it hammer down on the half-cock notch. If you shoot and re-holster, put it on safe.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Or. Carry it hammer down on the half-cock notch. If you shoot and re-holster, put it on safe.
    good luck performing a technique that you only use " if you shoot" under that kind of adrenaline dump.

I have considered a traditional CZ (traditional in no decocker) Compact for some time. My thought would be carry with the hammer down, on half cock as recommended by the manufacturer I believe, due to lack of a firing pin safety. This can be done safely (more safe than all the way forward as mandated by certain competition rules) with a non adrenaline pump, pointed in a safe direction. If there was any altercation and you needed to safe the gun, by all means use the safety.

Since I began using my Shadow 2 in three gun, this is pretty similar to my technique, hammer down on the load and make ready, thumb safety for safe-ing or grounding the pistol. Since I was previously using an STI, the ladder step hasn’t changed.

Admittedly, this would require more practice / training, adding yet another step in what some consider a “complex” system. Probably why I’ve only pondered it, and not acted on it.

Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    good luck performing a technique that you only use " if you shoot" under that kind of adrenaline dump.
    Your point is very valid. The other issue is training with the pistol. If you want to do 50 reps of draw to first shot, you must manually lower the hammer for each rep to get the DA trigger. Cocked and locked is an option if you can reach the safety. I have decockers on all my CZs for that reason. That SP 01 is a beautiful pistol, but the SP01 Tactical might serve your carry needs better. Whatever you decide, train deliberately.

Site Supporter
    When I carried a CZ-75B, I treated it as an SAO gun with a DA first shot. Off target, on safe. On the range by myself, I would carefully decock it. I took a couple of classes with it and ran it cocked and locked for the most part. I switched to the PX4 specifically so I didn't have to mess with lowering the hammer. I'm thinking about having one of my -75Bs converted to SAO to try it out.

I recommend carrying your SP01 as an SAO gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Your point is very valid. The other issue is training with the pistol. If you want to do 50 reps of draw to first shot, you must manually lower the hammer for each rep to get the DA trigger.
    Welcome to trying with a Shadow 2 for USPSA production or Carry Optics.

I have gone the DA/SA route for all of my CZ handguns, except for my Shadow 2 SAO and 75B Omega (non-convertable). I would just go with SAO if I was making the SP-01 my primary handgun. However, I use a CZ P09 in the DA/SA mode.

Can somebody splain the difference between a cocked SP-01 and a fully tensioned SFA pistol like a P320 when holstering?

User Tag List