Thread: RFI: Citrus based water softeners?

RFI: Citrus based water softeners?

I’m having a new house built in central Texas. One of my partner’s family members lives in the same town and is on the same water district supply. She said she often wishes she had a water softener.

The builder (a respected, established midsized developer of really nice houses) originally offered prepping the house for a traditional water softener, but is now saying they no longer recommend salt based softener systems for several reasons. They are suggesting a newer citrus based system because it’s easier on the pipes and also better for consumption. They don’t sell either type, so I don’t think they are being disingenuous.

Does anyone here have any experience with this type of water softener / conditioner? Here are two examples just for reference.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NuvoH2O-...DPHB/206481057

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NuvoH2O-...PNCB/207107279
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Some basic reading seems to me that it doesn't soften water, it merely conditions it. From when I was researching water softeners, the non-salt-based systems are all conditioners, because they do not really remove the minerals, they simply alter the minerals' chemical make-up in such a way that they do not crystalize, and thus do not form scale build-up. This means that you don't actually truly have soft water; the fact that the NuvoH2O advertises "[n]o slick feeling you get from old-fashioned salt-based softeners" means that the water was not softened, and you still have the downside of having less effective detergent/soap compared to when used with true soft water and water spots on glassware. If reduction in scale build-up is all you're after, then I think it's a viable system, assuming the water isn't excessively hard (I've read that all salt-free conditioners struggle under very hard water).

Good info, thanks. I may need to pick up a hardness test kit and steal some of their water next time I’m in town.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have a water softener at my house. I bought a Fleck 5600 several years ago. I saw it on sale on Ebay and the seller was a local water softener outfit. The unit was about $1000 and installation was like $200. It has worked well with the notoriously hard Phoenix water.

The reasons I went this route:

1) The house was already plumbed for this type of system.
    2) I understand how it works. Easy to upkeep.
    3) The Fleck brand has been excellent quality.

The only thing I have to do extra is keep an eye on the anode rod in my water heater since the softening the water advances its natural corrosion. Of course, water heating systems are another can of worms.

Can't comment on a citris-based softener, but I had a combination softener/filter system in my CA house for 24 years. Never had a problem with the "old school" Fleck valves, 24 hours/day 365 days/year for the 24 years. I'm sure the new owner had the same experience over these last 4 years.. At the time I priced softeners from local companies and the experience resembled that in a car dealership. Found a company, Ohio Pure Water Company, that apparently had recently been started by two brothers who saw the handwriting on the wall having been knock on door salesmen. Saved a ton of money on the system and with a DIY installation. The company is still in business today 28 years later.,

User Tag List