Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Columbia police adopt new 9mm.

Columbia police adopt new 9mm.

Color me impressed. I can't remember the last time I saw a firearm related news story that did not leave me with my head in my hands. The reporter does not go too in depth, but does a damn sight better than his colleagues.

Randy Scott is the first cop that the city has had as PC for a long, long time.

Going back to 9mm is a very real trend for police departments, for all of the same reasons many of us use 9mm, and the reasons Pat Rogers outlines in his SWAT magazine article on the subject.

Wow, the going full retard on the comments ref the on-line newspaper stories on this switch. The rabid .45 guys are about to stroke out, because you know the Moros just ran right through those .38S&W bullets like they were raindrops.

According to the article, they are switching from Sig Sauer P220s.

Columbia and Lexington County SD are running 9mms. I think the SCHP has .45 GAP (mistake, IMHO).

The history of Columbia PD is pretty bizarre. When I moved here in 1992, each officer carried a M64 S&W and six rounds of 158 grain LSWCs in a dump pouch. They did not switch to the SIG 220s until 1994 or so. The move to the SIG was due to the city getting a Federal grant and the PC finally coming up with a very restrictive list for possible handguns. They had to be DAO, no more than 10 rounds and some other silliness I've forgotten. The SIG was the only thing that met those requirements. Oh, and at least at first, they could only have one spare magazine.

I have a friend who was a former Columbia PD Officer and they did in fact have DAO P220's at their issued handguns. Had some other crazy policies too, like no BUGs, and they could only carry 2 spare magazines.

He will be pretty interested to hear this news.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Going back to 9mm is a very real trend for police departments, for all of the same reasons many of us use 9mm, and the reasons Pat Rogers outlines in his SWAT magazine article on the subject.

Wow, the going full retard on the comments ref the on-line newspaper stories on this switch. The rabid .45 guys are about to stroke out, because you know the Moros just ran right through those .38S&W bullets like they were raindrops.
    It never ceases to amaze me how little impact 20+ years of ballistics research and observable data from thousands of shootings has on sketchy legends from 100 years ago.

Is this FN's first big contract for their striker fired design?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pdb View Post
    Is this FN's first big contract for their striker fired design?
    I don't think it's so much a "contract" as it is a "We'll give you some free guns if you talk about it!" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how little impact 20+ years of ballistics research and observable data from thousands of shootings has on sketchy legends from 100 years ago.
    Word!

User Tag List