Thread: Ammo on line - thoughts on these? 9mm, 45 ACP

Site Supporter

Ammo on line - thoughts on these? 9mm, 45 ACP

I'm seeing 124 gr HST 9 mm (not +P) and Federal 45 ACP 230 gr Punch on line. Worth it? Thoughts? Prices aren't bad for today's world. Looking at Target Sports.

Any reason you're going for the HST in 9mm? The 147 gr Gold Dot is way cheaper on TS-USA, as it comes in the 50 round box.

Site Supporter
    No reason, just thinking about it and asking. I have a slew of Critical Duty in the EDC Glocks. My 45 ACP EDC ammo supply was on the low side. Not that I shoot that so often but like to have some extra around.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    No reason, just thinking about it and asking. I have a slew of Critical Duty in the EDC Glocks. My 45 ACP EDC ammo supply was on the low side. Not that I shoot that so often but like to have some extra around.
    I've seen a YouTube vid where the tester compared .45 HST against .45 Punch. It wasn't ordinance gel it was the popular substitute whatever that's called. But the performance was nearly identical. I bought some, haven't shot a round of it but visually I can't tell them apart HST-Punch.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I think the main difference between punch and HST is in barrier performance
    The HST has more of a barrier blind design

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I'm seeing 124 gr HST 9 mm (not +P) and Federal 45 ACP 230 gr Punch on line. Worth it? Thoughts? Prices aren't bad for today's world. Looking at Target Sports.
    Per DocGKR:

Both 124 gr HST and GD work adequately, just not quite as good as the +P version.

I usually check Bone Frog Gun Club and TargetsportsUSA first for ammo. In 9mm, I am happy with either Gold Dot or HST. Prices tend to vary widely for the same ammo, so check multiple sites to compare product and prices. I just ordered from Bone Frog. Have the HST 124gr standard pressure inbound. For a box of 50, they were $5 cheaper than the next cheapest at the time I ordered. Also, some places have free shipping depending on the size of the order. I see TSUSA has the Gold Dot 147gr back in stock. It's a decent price for the times we live in.

User Tag List