Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: P365 Spectre Comp

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Just to clarify what I meant by ported. Something like this.

Attachment 83683

Do the same cut but back bore the end of the barrel rifling to behind the comp cuts and keep it 365XL length to fit inside the slide. Doing so should eliminate or greatly reduce jacket material from being projected upward like regular ported barrels can do.
    If you're backboring to remove the rifling coincident to the ports, do you think that will increase the gas blow-by sufficient to significantly reduce the efficacy of the ports to counter upwards rise of the muzzle? Further, do you\we know of anyone that has attempted such a design feature?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    If you're backboring to remove the rifling coincident to the ports, do you think that will increase the gas blow-by sufficient to significantly reduce the efficacy of the ports to counter upwards rise of the muzzle? Further, do you\we know of anyone that has attempted such a design feature?
    I doubt it will reduce the efficacy much compared to just a ported barrel with rifling vs one without but that is a guess. The backboring would only need to be large enough to remove the lands and grooves so the bullet jacket won't be in contact as it passes the port cuts. This should make for a more effective compensator effect than a large open un sealed area as the Spectre comp design is and others similar to it that allow gasses to escape through several areas. It would allow for easy disassembly and reassembly same as the OEM Spectre comp slide and reduce gas fouling going everywhere at the end of the shorter barrel so almost all of the pros with less cons.

As to whether it has been attempted I am almost positive I have seen such barrels in pictures but I can't find any so maybe it is a false memory. It wouldn't be hard to do as the barrel can be produced just like a standard 365XL barrel. Then cut the comp orts and lastly back bore the front of the barrel just deep enough to clear the ports. If the tool used has the right design it should leave a smooth beveled transition to not hurt accuracy like a normal crown. It would cost a bit more to cut vents and backbore but the standard XL barrel is already being produced so no new barrel is needed just 2 extra tooling steps. Since they are already making the slides it is more than halfway there.

I am curious how large the slide dia opening is beyond the barrel. This is something I have been looking for for awhile so I will likely look to get a slide and standard XL barrel and at least get ports cut to match the slide openings even if I didn't do the backboring right away.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    These guys have been doing it on the “chunk port” they’ve been doing on 2011’s.

https://monsoontactical.com/product/chunk-port/

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    These guys have been doing it on the “chunk port” they’ve been doing on 2011’s.

https://monsoontactical.com/product/chunk-port/

Wicked - thank you!
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Mike Glover from Fieldcraft Survival put out a video with the P365 Spectre Comp -

https://youtu.be/FdN04VxzGcE

He also does some side-by-side shooting with a regular 365XL. Kind of interesting... not sure if it's $1000 interesting (at that price point I'd rather get 320 Legion/Spectre/something)..

I wonder how holster compatibility will work - same length as a 365XL so might work, but the optic plate is moved forward slightly so depending on optic cut...

Name:  mglover_p365-comp.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  40.9 KB

Comped

I just spent some time shooting my P365 with PMM comp versus a standard XL slide and there’s no question that for the same ammo load the comp is just softer shooting.

That’s kind of “duh!” but it’s a big enough difference that it may be worth it.

Not necessarily a deal breaker for me, but if given a choice I would prefer a black barrel and trigger. I will hold off to see if and when Shadow Systems comes out with a CR920 SUB COMPACT comped pistol, as the thicker grip would fit my hand better.

I hope they offer just the slide, that would be really cool

Same here. If they offer the slides, I’ll be doing my best JCN impression in no time (minus the promags…)

Yeah like WTF were they thinking with the gold! Are those ports in slide or just lightening cuts?

User Tag List