Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressor forum or source of information?

Suppressor forum or source of information?

My apologies for starting a new thread. Does anyone know of a forum dedicated to suppressors that is on par with pistol-forum? I'm looking for information regarding bolt action barrel lengths that work well with brand x suppressors, known good carbine setups for suppressed shooting, general information, etc.

Kind Regards,

Dan

I would be very interested, too - my knowledge level is somewhere south of zero, and my questions are so basic I a) don’t know how to properly express them and b) am embarrassed to ask them here. A suppressor centric forum where I can read would be hugely helpful.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Pretty sure there are some really squared away, and knowledgeable folks here who would be willing to share.

It took me many years to dip my toe in, and I had fantastic resources that entertained my constant questions.
    Taking a break from social media.

I would say this forum is as good as any, really. There might be places like ar15.com that has more really knowledgeable posters, but also way more bullshit to wade through to find it, so meh.

https://pewscience.com/ is possibly a good resource, too, heard good things about it.

I think people tend to overcomplicate suppressors, just like with armor.

Form1 Forums was a great resource for roll your cans.

Unfortunately they were deplatformed this summer. Censorship via Terms of Service is real.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I would say this forum is as good as any, really. There might be places like ar15.com that has more really knowledgeable posters, but also way more bullshit to wade through to find it, so meh.

https://pewscience.com/ is possibly a good resource, too, heard good things about it.

I think people tend to overcomplicate suppressors, just like with armor.
    I’ve heard good things about pewscience as well.

Honestly, I cruised silencer centric forums for years (I actually went out and helped sound meter silencers once…). I think you can find good information here as well as others. It’s not the early 2000’s with one or two people testing with sound meters. Information is freely exchanged and widely available.

Pew science seems to be a real innovator and is commonly respected.
    God Bless,

Brandon

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I have quite a few cans, and noise level is now quite low on my list of how to rank them. How the can attaches to the gun is by far #1.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I just wish I could find the G19 of suppressors.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    My apologies for starting a new thread. Does anyone know of a forum dedicated to suppressors that is on par with pistol-forum? I'm looking for information regarding bolt action barrel lengths that work well with brand x suppressors, known good carbine setups for suppressed shooting, general information, etc.

Kind Regards,

Dan
    What do you want to know? Unless you go so short that stability becomes an issue there isn't too much you can do wrong regarding barrel length with cans on bolt guns. 16-20" is pretty optimal for a general use bolt gun that will be suppressed most of the time. I'd only go longer if you have a specific need for speed.

Carbine (assuming DI AR) setup will depend on barrel gas port diameter, dwell time (gas port location in relation to barrel length), and spring/buffer selection. Adjustable gas blocks or gas venting carriers can help if you have a particularly gassy setup.

User Tag List