Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Colt CR6920 Initial Impressions

Site Supporter
    Well shit. You were right. It's affected. I swear I checked it... maybe I just overlooked it. Or maybe it had the wrong serial on the box.

I did the online form thingy and it sent me a shipping label. Damn--I wanted to shoot the thing this weekend.

In any case, thank you for noticing that.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I checked my serial against the range that was supposedly affected before I bought it—it wasn’t in the range. But maybe I missed something.
    Pull out the hammer and check it’s numbers against the recalled ones.

Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    I learned something today. I have a CR6920 from last year. It is unfired and was purchased as a spare. I just checked it, and the hammer is marked with a "2" on one side with two "S"'s on the other. I guess it is not affected.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    Mine's definitely affected. On the site, they're pretty direct about any F[1-4] marked hammer being subject to the recall. They're sending me a box and label--it was a pretty quick, automatically generated thing via the site. You send in the lower, says they try to turn it around in 2 weeks.

Apparently it's possible the gun can fire a second shot when the hammer falls. Though mine didn't do that in the 100 rounds I put thought it. PITA. Especially since I now have 500 rounds of 5.56 here. But, at least Colt's process seems fairly straightforward and seamless. Hopefully that continues to be the case.

Mine's definitely affected. On the site, they're pretty direct about any F[1-4] marked hammer being subject to the recall. They're sending me a box and label--it was a pretty quick, automatically generated thing via the site. You send in the lower, says they try to turn it around in 2 weeks.

Apparently it's possible the gun can fire a second shot when the hammer falls. Though mine didn't do that in the 100 rounds I put thought it. PITA. Especially since I now have 500 rounds of 5.56 here. But, at least Colt's process seems fairly straightforward and seamless. Hopefully that continues to be the case.
    If you don't want to deal with the drama and delay, it is extremely easy to just buy another hammer and replace it yourself. You could take the opportunity to drop in a Geissele SSA-E. I have two, and they are awesome.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003355393?pid=660568

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    One of THE smes that’s written much of the assembly content in the tech manuals for the M4 program has stated in very clear language that the primary purpose of the gas key staking is to visually indicate that the bolts are not meant to be removed as part of routine maintenance.

Same as receiver end plate castle nut staking.
    Who's that? Ken Elmore?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    If you don't want to deal with the drama and delay, it is extremely easy to just buy another hammer and replace it yourself. You could take the opportunity to drop in a Geissele SSA-E. I have two, and they are awesome.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003355393?pid=660568
    Pretty sure I saw those on sale for ~$168 around the holidays. A "normal" sale is $190. Definitely worth waiting for a sale if you're going to go that route.

Also, read Geissele's guidance/recommendations regarding use cases between SSA and SSA-E before making your selection.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I had considered replacing the trigger group. Is Geissele better than CMC? My local Sportsman's Warehouse has CMC triggers in stock:

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...gger/p/1696039

Theoretically, I could have the thing switched out and GTG tomorrow. That appeals to my impatience. But not to my wallet.

Site Supporter
    I had considered replacing the trigger group. Is Geissele better than CMC? My local Sportsman's Warehouse has CMC triggers in stock:

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...gger/p/1696039

Theoretically, I could have the thing switched out and GTG tomorrow. That appeals to my impatience. But not to my wallet.
    Yes Geissele is better.

I am not a big fan of cassette type triggers.

Geissele has a budget version of the SSA trigger called the G2S which is very good. Another option is the Larue MBT trigger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes Geissele is better.

I am not a big fan of cassette type triggers.

Geissele has a budget version of the SSA trigger called the G2S which is very good. Another option is the Larue MBT trigger.
    Thanks.

The more I think about it, I might just let Colt do their thing then worry about triggers and other add-builds later. It's not like the repair will cost me anything. I don't mind the heavier trigger--it's supposed to be "mil spec" after all. And 2.5 - 3 lbs sounds kinda light for a gun I don't really intend to use for competition.

All that said, I could definitely see a carry handle with A2 sights in this gun's future. Mainly because I love classic look. And I guess it's easier than picking it up by the hand guard.

User Tag List