Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Recommended iron sight alternative to red dot for aging eyes?

My eyes are aging too. I prefer Ameriglo hacks (not called that anymore) - the bright orange front and serrated black back works well for me. Three white dots are the worst possible for me, followed by white rear outline.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My eyes are aging too. I prefer Ameriglo hacks (not called that anymore) - the bright orange front and serrated black back works well for me. Three white dots are the worst possible for me, followed by white rear outline.
    Have these on an old XD.
    They are very easy to use.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Hi all. Thanks again for the insights. I appreciate it, especially the suggestion to try "target focused with irons". I read thru the related thread and watched that video. Some good stuff to try and see if it works for me. (Software before hardware.) I like the painters tape idea for the front iron sight. I'm going to try that before making a decision on replacing irons. I just purchased a G48 so I need to get a new set of sights, but I will try "target focused" my existing HD XR's first. I'll report on what I find.
    Last edited by Chris17404; 02-01-2022 at 02:48 PM.

Novak adjustable rear and Night Fission front combo work for me.

https://www.novaksights.com/

I am another guy who is not willing to all in on RDS (the nice sights cost as much as my pistols...), am another old guy (just turned 63), am another guy that has had lens implants for cataracts, am another guy that used to like a wide notch but went to more narrow notch, am another Dawson fan, and I caved to three FO dots:

Name:  Sights.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  21.6 KB

One thing Dawson asserts is that their dots are recessed, and I think they kinda are, anyway I like the look.

Here is exactly what I bought; I believe it is their higher "Target" profile rear. I think it is also subtle bout quicker to have a bigger back flat plae with a notch in in it that jumps out a little better, but that could be malarkey with me just convincing myself I am crafty

Name:  Dawson.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  36.6 KB

Almost 60…. Ameriglo CAP orange front, plain serrated black rear works for me. I’ve tried guns with a fiber front and similar rear and also liked those, so may try a front swap at some point.

Roughly similar to the 'Hackathorn' but for PX4: https://langdontactical.com/ameriglo...t-px4-compact/

(no serrations on the rear)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am another guy who is not willing to all in on RDS (the nice sights cost as much as my pistols...), am another old guy (just turned 63), am another guy that has had lens implants for cataracts, am another guy that used to like a wide notch but went to more narrow notch, am another Dawson fan, and I caved to three FO dots:

Name:  Sights.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  21.6 KB

One thing Dawson asserts is that their dots are recessed, and I think they kinda are, anyway I like the look.

Here is exactly what I bought; I believe it is their higher "Target" profile rear. I think it is also subtle bout quicker to have a bigger back flat plae with a notch in in it that jumps out a little better, but that could be malarkey with me just convincing myself I am crafty

Name:  Dawson.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  36.6 KB
    I have the same Dawson 3 FO adjustable set up on a G35 converted to 9mm.

Re Notch width: Despite the narrow notch, in practice, the two red FO in the rear give my eyes the effect of a wider notch when shooting at speed, similar to the effect of a white outline rear on say, a S&W revolver.

It looks like everyone up to this point talked about sights and what type to use. How about a different perspective. Your vision.

You said you wear corrective lenses. My optometrist wants to put me in contacts at -2.75 and had me try -3.0. I asked for and wear -2.50 in my dominate eye. At -2.75 sight focus and reading is a little difficult. At -2.50 I'm golden for now and the last few years. I don't have any difficulty with mismatched power lenses probably because they are close enough. Plus I do not feel it effects my vision. Actually in my Ophthalmologist's office I read the 20/20 line with my -2.50 contact.

I would explore the idea of detuning your dominate eye's prescription. You might be able to get what you need (clear sights) with a slight reduction in your lens strength. Even if your vision in your dominate eye does not test out as good as it should with the proper prescription the brain can compensate and your overall (both eyes) vision may not be compromised.

Obviously your mileage may vary and this will be dependent upon your circumstances.

I just purchased a new set of shootin glasses, that have a bifocal at the TOP of the lens.
    When I get into position to shoot, I can actually see the sights now, and the target has a blur.
    Imagine at 58, being able to see the sights again!
    I wear a trifocal progressive daily, since 56.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List