Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Popped the cherry.

I shot a 4" 500 once. Three rounds of 500 Special was fairly comfortable; but two rounds of Magnums was all I cared to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by DBLAction454 View Post
    Fired a SW 500 Magnum with a 4" barrel yesterday. The power was unbelievable. I couldn't believe I felt the shockwave hit me in the face.

A very nice gentleman next to me and my buddy on the range let us try it out. He also let me try his SW 460 with 460 load and 454 casull load.

He's now got me hooked and I'll be buying a 500 very shortly

-DBLAction454

You should thank him a lot and may be offer to pay him for the ammo. The ammo ranges from $2 - 6 per round, if factory.
    Even handloaded ones still cost quite a bit.

Watch your grip when you are shooting 400gr or heavier bullets with magnum loads. And, if your shooting hands do not have a lot of calluses, you might want to get yourself a glove. Blisters develop pretty fast even if it's just 2 boxes of ammo.

I have this same revolver. It's quite addicting to shoot the 500SW.

Google for John Ross and you will be totally sucked into it. His articles are quite interesting.

Once you get your revolver, handloading and casting bullets may be your next steps. They are simply beautiful things to have if you want to control everything.

Very cool...I've never gotten to try the .500 but I have a buddy who has the .460. That is definitely a fun gun to shoot with all three options (.45, .454, .460). I'd love to touch off a few through a .500 sometime.
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

I shot half a box of 180 gr UMC .44 Mag through my dad's Super Redhawk once. Tamara said those things are mini-flashbangs, and I'll vouch for that. Just 2 cylinders later and I had a "flinch of biblical proportions" to borrow a phrase from LAV. Hell, it took me 5 mags of .22 LR (10 rounds per mag) to make me quit flinching. Honestly, if you need more firepower than a .44 Mag, just get a fracking rifle already.

But if the .500 floats your boat, have at it. PM me if you're in the Omaha area and I'll see about paying for the ammo on a shared range trip.

I've been able to shoot a 500 magnum with a 4 inch barrel once.

It was a blast. The flash was incredible, the bang immense, and I would LOVE to do it all day long!

Just not on my dime.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    In my experience, the 8 3/8" .500s seem to have more perceived recoil than the 4" guns. I do not know if this is due to muzzle velocity differences and the fact that, with magnum loads, most of the powder is still burning when it leaves the 4" tube, or if it's all in my head, or what.

As a kinda-sorta Smith collector, should I ever happen upon a 4" X-frame for the right money, I'll need to get it. Just for the collection, of course.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    I've been able to shoot a 500 magnum with a 4 inch barrel once.
    Me too, my buddy wanted me to fire the whole cylinder. I handed it back, after that one shot, and said "no thanks".

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Me too, my buddy wanted me to fire the whole cylinder. I handed it back, after that one shot, and said "no thanks".
    Remember the guy at the nra range who claimed to pioneer the use of the 500 in Iraq for SF?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Remember the guy at the nra range who claimed to pioneer the use of the 500 in Iraq for SF?
    I sure do, it's sad.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    We can't let our Special Forces be outgunned by Israeli tank crews, which is who the Deagle was designed for.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List