Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sources for small part nitriding?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    You can buy very high concentration of rubbing alcohol. Like in the high 90% range--on same shelf as others. For me degreasing was the step where I sometimes erred. Boiling water poured over a small part held in a strainer degreases and heats the part too. Also I have suspended a small part by iron wire and dipped it in the bluing solution. Oil on one's fingers will contaminate the part after degreasing. Most of these solutions are toxic.
    I keep 99% IPA around for modeling, that will work well.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Nitriding parts that have been nitrided once before is not recommended by the companies that do this work.
    How does that apply to pistol parts? That example is of an extreme use manufacturing process.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._investigation

Controlled gas nitriding represents one of the most important factors in enhancing the service life of AISI H13 steel dies used for the hot extrusion of aluminum alloys. Such surface-hardening treatment is used repeatedly to re-harden the die surface, which has been exposed to high temperature and abrasion by extruding the aluminum alloy, resulting in the wearing away of the existing nitride layer. Therefore, after certain extrusion cycles, dies require re-nitriding. In the present work, the influence of repeated nitriding on AISI H13 steel is studied. Single-, double-, and triple-nitrided samples, treated under controlled two-stage gas nitriding process, have been included in the study to evaluate their nitride layer morphology, hardness, case depth, and quality. Both experimental and numerical results are presented and compared. In the experimental part, the nitride layers are characterized using different techniques including optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction analysis, microhardness analysis, and energy-dispersive spectrometry technique. A sequentially coupled heat diffusion analysis of re-nitriding treatments are also conducted numerically using finite element code, ABAQUS. The numerically predicted results are in close agreement with experimental results in terms of nitride layer growth and nitrogen concentration distribution in the diffusion zone. The experimental results reveal that multiple-nitriding treatment on H13 steel has a significant effect on compound layer thickness and its phases, diffusion zone depth and its microstructure, hardness–depth profile, and nitride case depth. It was found that excessive cumulative nitriding time during multiple-nitriding treatment results in greater nitride depth and a significant increase in hardness with deeper effect due to the dense and deeper precipitation of nitrides in the diffusion zone. Multiple-nitrided samples show oxidation and porosity in the near-surface part of the nitrided layer due to the interaction of iron with oxygen of the air upon decomposition of iron nitrides in the compound layer during re-nitriding. This results in reduced toughness and hardness in the near-surface part of the nitride layers.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List