Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice about 911 calling around knife defense specifically (and applicable in general

I may be dead wrong about 911 locking your line open on a cell phone. I was basing my comment on something I remember from a good while ago. I swear I experienced this happening but like I said I may be dead wrong. I've been under the impression since that they have to release your line.

Sorry for dropping some bogus info. (if so).

I was on the other end of 911 calls for about 5 years. Some phones would go into emergency "mode" when you called 911. People hang/hung up daily, we will attempt to call you back and make contact. If I am being completely honest, the caller who was coherent, matter of fact and even modestly cooperative was an easier call to handle and dispatch to officers. Keeping that line open is 100% the way to go if possible, any dispatcher/call taker with a clue will listen in for information about what's going on in the background etc, and its recorded.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Site Supporter
    When the dispatcher advises that the complainant was uncooperative with the calltaker, refused to answer questions, or hung up on the calltaker, it sets a certain tone for my interaction with the complainant. The complainant may not care for my tone.

Caballoflaco, that does not apply to circumstances such as you describe. On the contrary, a surprising number of people insist on talking with 911 when the 911 response force is standing directly in front of them.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    When the dispatcher advises that the complainant was uncooperative with the calltaker, refused to answer questions, or hung up on the calltaker, it sets a certain tone for my interaction with the complainant. The complainant may not care for my tone.

Caballoflaco, that does not apply to circumstances such as you describe. On the contrary, a surprising number of people insist on talking with 911 when the 911 response force is standing directly in front of them.
    I have had people literally shush me and tell me "I'm on the phone with the police!"......as I stood in front of them in full uniform, with a black and white with its red and blues on parked behind me. You can't make this shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I have had people literally shush me and tell me "I'm on the phone with the police!"......as I stood in front of them in full uniform, with a black and white with its red and blues on parked behind me. You can't make this shit up.
    Similar to what occurs to us on ems runs. Person is mumbling on the phone to the dispatcher with a handful of emts standing in front of them.

“You can hangup now”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that you want to make the 911 call because it can sometimes be important to be the first to call them rather than the perp. I can understand the 'be careful what you say because it can be used against you' but I'd rather limit my talking than hang up. I view 911 as my friend (which the person making those recommendations doesn't seem to) so I would never hang up until told to do so. Also I know they can track your location while on the call but am not sure if they can track it after you hang up. I once called to report a situation on an interstate and 911 asked where I was. It was kind of typical long drive and, since I knew I had 2 hours to go, I was not paying attention to exit numbers so I was not sure which exit I had passed recently. 30 seconds later she says she has me on their tracking equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    Similar to what occurs to us on ems runs. Person is mumbling on the phone to the dispatcher with a handful of emts standing in front of them.

“You can hangup now”
    The flip side of that is the people who hang up immediately because they don’t think the dispatcher can talk to them and dispatch help at the same time. It’s as if they think the dispatch center has one phone line.

There’s room for some public education there — a PSA on how dispatch works might be useful.

In general, dispatchers prefer people to stay on the line if possible until help arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The flip side of that is the people who hang up immediately because they don’t think the dispatcher can talk to them and dispatch help at the same time. It’s as if they think the dispatch center has one phone line.

There’s room for some public education there — a PSA on how dispatch works might be useful.

In general, dispatchers prefer people to stay on the line if possible until help arrives.
    Absolutely, CPR instructions are usually pretty helpful as well as real time updates for us as we’re on the way.

The flip, flip side is the instances when the dispatcher says “are you calling about xyz? We already have help coming.” Which unfortunately sometimes loses out on information that they don’t already have, or information that’s different or helpful. Especially with violent incidents in the day when either EVERYONE calls or you get one non emergency call on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Fear of mentioning race is dumb. Obviously use polite/proper terms, but I can pretty much assure you that a dispatcher who's not a moron is going to ask as part of the description. Now what? I'd rather not say?

Hanging up and not answering back is full tilt idiocy. Stay on the line until the cavalry arrives if you can.

Saying you can't safely retreat is kind of...pointless at best.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    It’s always refreshing to see something’s in policing are universal.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List