Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice about 911 calling around knife defense specifically (and applicable in general

Advice about 911 calling around knife defense specifically (and applicable in general

This article popped up during a bit of coffee time research on current knife laws, and the part about hanging up really jumped out at me—in particular because it contradicts other advice I’ve heard and read over the years. I figured it might be worth a discussion:

https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/aftermath/

The excerpt in question:
    -
    1. If the threat is imminent and there is no safe way to avoid the threat (always your best option), but there is time for you, or a companion, to do it safely, call 9-1-1. After the 9-1-1 operator asks “What is your emergency?” provide ONLY the following information. Speak slowly and clearly:

1. I/we are in fear of physical harm and are in imminent danger from an armed person/group or violent person/group (as appropriate) and are unable to retreat safely.”
    2. Describe the threat (clothing, height, location, direction of travel and the weapon(s) (gun, club, knife, etc) if able. Do NOT describe the threat with details such as their race, their politics or affiliation, or any similar descriptive terms. That might come back to haunt you.
    3. Give your name and location, describe yourself and any companions (clothing, height, etc.)
    4. DON’T SAY ANYTHING MORE! HANG UP! DO NOT ANSWER THE PHONE when 9-1-1 calls back!
    NOTE: The most important thing about calling 9-1-1 is to HANG UP IMMEDIATELY AFTER you have provided the essential information required in order for law enforcement and medical to respond. Do not answer when they call back!

Remember, what you say can and will be used against you. The call is recorded and will be made available to the news media that will likely sensationalize anything you say. Your adrenaline is high, you may well be in shock and you will say things you shouldn’t that seemed innocent enough at the time, but will be turned against you. HANG UP!

-

Discuss, and thanks in advance folks.

(Obligatory tag to @Mas for if and when he has the time…)
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Interesting take on the topic. I would respectfully disagree on a point or two.

I'm inclined to maintain the connection with 9-1-1. It puts you only one relay away from responding officers in a situation which has potential to rapidly change. I would also disagree with not mentioning race: it's an important identifier, just like approximate height and weight, clothing, etc. I think one should give a physical description of themself, as the complainant, in further hopes of preventing a mistaken identity situation.

@Mas

That’s about what I figured. I am grateful for the rapid and expert input on this topic, among others, Maestro.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    @Mas is being polite. Some of the advice there is extremely poor. You're going to be asked to describe any threats/assailants, and those descriptors will include the race, clothing, age and other characteristics. They are NOT going to ask about political affiliation or other nonsense. They'll ask what the subject is doing, what they look like, and where they are. Since the latter can change, they may ask you to stay on the line. Pulling cute stuff like hanging up and not answering call backs is likely to do nothing but frustrate first responders, and possibly lead to them regarding you as less than cooperative. If you can't stay on the line for safety, so be it. But this manipulative cutesy BS advice is just that.....BS. My 2 cents.

As an attorney I want the incident recorded to minimize disputes between interested parties at any sort of trial. I also would want my client to appear reasonable and cooperative with emergency services. What I do not want is my client offering opinions about facts or explanations about what they did or why they did it beyond the bare minimum to get first responders there, make sure they survive the arrival of LE, and provide info about any outstanding suspects. The further explanation about why you were in fear for your life and we’re therefore acting reasonably when you fired two rounds into the bad man’s chest will come after a lengthy interrogation at my office where I test your story and make sure that what you thought was justified actually was and the likelihood that a Detective/Prosecutor/jury will agree with your assessment of the reasonableness.

In my experience, most of the time when people try to play legalese word games with cops/lawyers/on the stand, they come across as evasive, unlikeable people who are playing games. Speak like a human being, convey the bare minimum information needed to deal with the emergency, and invoke your right to counsel as early as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    4. DON’T SAY ANYTHING MORE! HANG UP! DO NOT ANSWER THE PHONE when 9-1-1 calls back!
    NOTE: The most important thing about calling 9-1-1 is to HANG UP IMMEDIATELY AFTER you have provided the essential information required in order for law enforcement and medical to respond. Do not answer when they call back!
    I think you may be overlooking the fact that you can't Hang Up on 9-1-1. Specifically with a cell phone which is very likely the device used to call outside your home and for many now inside too. 9-1-1 will lock your connection open. So If you think you can hit end call and pocket your phone well you may be in for a surprise if you run your mouth when you ASSUME the connection has been terminated.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I think you may be overlooking the fact that you can't Hang Up on 9-1-1. Specifically with a cell phone which is very likely the device used to call outside your home and for many now inside too. 9-1-1 will lock your connection open. So If you think you can hit end call and pocket your phone well you may be in for a surprise if you run your mouth when you ASSUME the connection has been terminated.
    Can others reply and say if this is factual or not?

Don’t take it personally JohnO, I am generally curious and don’t believe everything I see on the inter webs.

I was going to call 911 and ask but they probably have better things.

I’ve never heard calling 911 locking the cell phone open. What I do remember on a lot of emergency calls is the dispatcher saying the caller hung up and the dispatcher or complaint operator is calling them back.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Can others reply and say if this is factual or not?

Don’t take it personally JohnO, I am generally curious and don’t believe everything I see on the inter webs.

I was going to call 911 and ask but they probably have better things.
    Last 911 call I made involving a car accident the police showed up in the middle of me talking to the operator. I told her cops were there, I had to go help the victim and hung up without a problem.

Site Supporter
    Either way, when one is carrying a cell phone, one should not assume that what one says is not being recorded.

User Tag List