Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The small game/ plinking loads thread

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    32ACP chamber adapter

I had a .308 Winchester to .32 ACP chamber adaptor that would not keep groups of three shots on the same sheet of 8 1/2" by 11" paper at 15 yards, much less the same rabbit. Do not recommend.

I may still have it. If I run across it I can mail it to you and you can waste money on .32 ammo if you want.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Midway has Sierra 125gr FPHP 30-30 blems for $189/500.

2 B’s is a bit pricey for blems that I’m not even sure my rifle will like.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    What kind of accuracy are you guys seeing with the light rife loads? I've been playing with some light loads in 30-30 with Red Dot and a powder coated 165 grain bullet. Shooting offhand I see ~2" at 25 yards.
    With conventionally lubed bullets and subsonic loads I expect inch groups at 25 yards with iron sights firing off bags using soft bullets which fit properly.
    Most small game loads in .30 cal. deer cartridges shoot close to point of aim at 50 feet to 25 yards with a 250-yard zero for factory hunting ammunition.

With lubricated lead bullets of standard weight for the caliber the minimum charge with reliably exits the barrel is 3 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup in the .30-30, 4 grains in the .30-40 Krag, .303 British, .300 Savage or .308 Win. and 5 grains in the .30-'06.

With jacketed bullets increase the minimum charges a full grain with 110-grain bullets and 2 grains with 150-170-grain bullets.

Has anyone here played with these sorts of loads in 450 Bushmaster for a manually repeating rifle?

The Ruger American is fussy about feeding blunt bullets so I'm having visions of something like Missouri Bullet Company's 180 grain RNFP, Lee's 160 grain RNFP, or Lee's 230 grain truncated conical with their smallish meplats over a minimum charge of Trailboss. As a lazy starting point, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Has anyone here played with these sorts of loads in 450 Bushmaster for a manually repeating rifle?

The Ruger American is fussy about feeding blunt bullets so I'm having visions of something like Missouri Bullet Company's 180 grain RNFP, Lee's 160 grain RNFP, or Lee's 230 grain truncated conical with their smallish meplats over a minimum charge of Trailboss. As a lazy starting point, anyway.
    Not with 450 Bushmaster but I did shoot quite a few 200 grain RNFP bullets out of my 45 Colt Winchester 94 using Clays or Unique with success. They loaded and feed nicely.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

This is a timely thread.

Finn Aagaard said that 14 grains of Unique under a 158-grain pistol bullet was the most accurate load in his 35 Whelen. I bought a 35 Whelen late last year, I have a jug of Unique, and a few hundred 158-grain pistol bullets arrived in the mail yesterday.

I should have results in a couple of weeks.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

How’s the recoil with factory ammo? A bolt .450 is on my “just because” want list. I’m pretty much done with anything that recoils more than .30-06 out of a Garand or 03A3 but will make an exception if it’s “close”.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    How’s the recoil with factory ammo? A bolt .450 is on my “just because” want list. I’m pretty much done with anything that recoils more than .30-06 out of a Garand or 03A3 but will make an exception if it’s “close”.
    You need a 6 Dasher
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Close to a bolt-action 30-06 with most loads.

Close to a bolt-action 30-06 with most loads.
    Thanks! The ability to use .45 ACP bullets makes it attractive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    You need a 6 Dasher
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List