Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HKG11

Site Supporter

HKG11

I saw this https://news.yahoo.com/rifle-future-...134200136.html today and thought it might start some stimulating conversation.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Site Supporter
    In the Mack Bolan series featured the G11 a couple of times. I read them from about '83-90. Been really interested in it since then.

Ran into this a few months ago.

According to Wikiwhatever the West Germans were set up to purchase 300,000 of them between 1990-2002. The fall of the Wall, reunification, and the end of the Cold War sealed its fate. It was ready for prime time. Optics, lasers, mags, reloading packs, bayonet.

It is also what was conjured up in my little peabrain every single time I have heard:

pat

Discuss an obscure prototype rifle developed during the 1980s? So in. The Advanced Combat Rifle (ACR) trials occurred during my misspent youth, and I gobbled up every shred of gun magazine rumor about the rifles. The G11 appeared, along with the entrants from AAI, Colt, and Steyr. I'm looking forward to the Vickers Guides on HK that are in the works; the HK prototype guns are supposedly a volume onto themselves, and I expect the G11 to feature prominently.

Interestingly, in Episode 63 of the 'Live Q or Die' podcast, Kevin Brittingham (of Q and AAC) interviews Wayne Weber, former President of HK-USA. Apparently, Weber's association with HK began when he was one of the USAF firearms experts assigned to the ACR project to evaluate the G11. Brittingham is not my favorite interviewer, but this was worth listening to.

The G11 held special interest for me among the ACR entrants - and was the one which seemed to also start appearing in some popular media (games like the James Bond RPG and Twilight 2000). It was always way overpowered.

Name:  G11.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  36.4 KB

The G11 probably sparked my strange fascination with the Russian AN-94 and other Russian prototype rifles.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    It was ready for prime time. Optics, lasers, mags, reloading packs, bayonet
    Except ammo. Ammo was so expensive, the West Germans wouldn't have been able to afford much live fire training. If I recall, ammo was $11 a round back then.

The workings of the G11 were considered a state secret and no one was allowed access to the details of the inner workings other than it used a rotating chamber.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Hearing that thing in three round burst (4:00 in the video at the first link) - yowza!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Except ammo. Ammo was so expensive, the West Germans wouldn't have been able to afford much live fire training. If I recall, ammo was $11 a round back then.

The workings of the G11 were considered a state secret and no one was allowed access to the details of the inner workings other than it used a rotating chamber.
    Interesting. Yikes! The basic loadout for U.S. Soldier (which I don't know has changed in the last 30 years) cost more than my tricked out LaRue fanboi Swiss Army Inspector Gadget LE6920 patrol rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Hearing that thing in three round burst (4:00 in the video at the first link) - yowza!
    Yeah you just hear it as a rather longish report. If you didn't know it was three rounds you could confuse it as one. And did you notice the holes in the block wall?

pat

The G11 was supposed to be the first in a whole family of weapons, including a PDW and LMG. I don't believe the PDW/Pistol ever developed into a firing prototype, but the LMG looks like it progressed further. Unlike the rifle version where the magazine laid horizontally across the top of the rifle, the LMG would use a unique 300 round magazine inserted into the stock.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

If they had fired the Coo Coo Clock Contractor and put the caseless ammo in a simpler rifle, things might have been different.

Voere did a bit with a caseless bolt action, electric primed to boot.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

The G11 is what got me into reloading.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

It's the perfect Neil Stephenson gun: Cyberpunk space magic on the outside, steampunk clockwork inside.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List