Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 66 is skipping chambers

My 66 is skipping chambers

I'm finally getting to a failure point. My -8 is skipping chambers. I don't have time to clean and look at it to much right now. I have to head to work soon.

Should I just order a new spring and locking bolt?

I lost count but I'm over 20k rounds of magnums and then a bunch of specials.

Mail it back to Smith and Wesson, and tell them Stephanie sent you. 😳 That’s a decent number magnum rounds!

This raises a question I’ve had regarding S&W vs Colt revolvers. S&W parts are widely available, but Colt revolver parts are nowhere to be found, at least for the new models. I sold my Colt King Cobra to Frank Jr for that very reason. The two parts you mentioned are about $16 from Midwest Gun Works, so give it a shot.
    P.S. I’ve placed two orders with Numrich in the past two weeks, and both were shipped almost immediately. The last order contained the wrong grip, but I took care of that.

There have been several threads on Enos about "Skip Chambers" showing up. Check to see if the notch in the cylinder where the cylinder stop locks up is peened.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'm finally getting to a failure point. My -8 is skipping chambers. I don't have time to clean and look at it to much right now. I have to head to work soon.

Should I just order a new spring and locking bolt?

I lost count but I'm over 20k rounds of magnums and then a bunch of specials.

Paging @Outpost75
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Paging @Outpost75
    Try degrunging the intervals first.

I had the same issue with an older 629-1. Was very frustrating. Finally, a close look at the notches in the cylinder revealed amounts of old crud in each notch. About 25 years worth of carbon, oil, and who-knows-what. Took a q-tip and Hoppes No. 9 and cleaned them out, and, presto, no more skipping. Cleaning out the notches on the cylinder with a q-tip has thereafter been a part of my revolver cleaning routine.

EDIT TO ADD: I should've added this was AFTER I sent the 629 back to S&W to fix the skipping issue, and they said they fixed it, which they had not.
    Last edited by Tennessee Jed; 01-28-2022 at 06:20 PM.
    Ordinary guy

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Try degrunging the intervals first.
    You mean the notches in the cylinder? Beyond that the gun was completely clean before shooting.

I'll be honest. I don't think ive ever really cleaned them

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    I had the same issue with an older 629-1. Was very frustrating. Finally, a close look at the notches in the cylinder revealed amounts of old crud in each notch. About 25 years worth of carbon, oil, and who-knows-what. Took a q-tip and Hoppes No. 9 and cleaned them out, and, presto, no more skipping. Cleaning out the notches on the cylinder with a q-tip has thereafter been a part of my revolver cleaning routine.

EDIT TO ADD: I should've added this was AFTER I sent the 629 back to S&W to fix the skipping issue, and they said they fixed it, which they had not.
    Boy, that'll be embarrassing if it's that. I don't think I've every done more than a half assed brush stroke with a AP brush there.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Mail it back to Smith and Wesson, and tell them Stephanie sent you. 😳 That’s a decent number magnum rounds!

This raises a question I’ve had regarding S&W vs Colt revolvers. S&W parts are widely available, but Colt revolver parts are nowhere to be found, at least for the new models. I sold my Colt King Cobra to Frank Jr for that very reason. The two parts you mentioned are about $16 from Midwest Gun Works, so give it a shot.
    P.S. I’ve placed two orders with Numrich in the past two weeks, and both were shipped almost immediately. The last order contained the wrong grip, but I took care of that.
    Yeah, the gas rings I ordered should be here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Yeah, the gas rings I ordered should be here soon.
    Your post about gas rings prompted me to add one for my M13 to the Numrich order. I really like spare parts. 👍👍👍

User Tag List