Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Pocket carry with a MRDS

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Apologies, I missed this until now.

I don’t have any experience with a visible laser to know. It certainly would remove the optic body from snagging, but I didn’t really experience any impediment to the draw from the MRDS, at all. And I’m unclear of the benefits of a laser in a CCW situation that would be better. “for me”, than a dot. 14 months into shooting with optics, I really like having one.
    It was mostly a thought to deal with the snag problem. If you're optic doesn't snag, then I think that's better. I'm a big optic user, and I figured that if the optic was a problem, having a laser would be something 'closer' to the red dot in terms of how you shoot it than irons.

Kinda academic since the optic body isn't a problem for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    RJ,

As an aside, how does the Wilson grip module w/ tungsten rods affect your bullets/weight ratio?
    Chuck, I reweighed this morning to recompute the new oz/round metrics. G19 (current compact EDC) and G48 (previous skinny EDC) are in table for reference:

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  45.4 KB

My Sticky holster showed up, and it doesn’t retain a 365 well enough for me to carry with a loaded chamber in it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I will simply point out the fact that on a 365 size pistol, for the purposes described, getting a laser into the equation from any position, versus indexing correctly to pick up a dot, is a different thing.

Both my (MS equipped) 365’s also have the green SIG lasers. Lasers, even green ones, are pretty much useless in bright, sunny conditions past a few yards, but in the context of the discussion, such as pocket carry/BUG, they have definite advantages in less-than-perfect deployment situations, where it may be difficult to index to a red dot in a similar time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Chuck, I reweighed this morning to recompute the new oz/round metrics. G19 (current compact EDC) and G48 (previous skinny EDC) are in table for reference:

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  45.4 KB
    I know it's early in your usage, but, if the WC w/rods shoots "better" than the factory configuration, is the metric useful?

I realize that this is getting into the weeds a bit. I'd rather discuss it in person, preferably over adult beverages.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I know it's early in your usage, but, if the WC w/rods shoots "better" than the factory configuration, is the metric useful?

I realize that this is getting into the weeds a bit. I'd rather discuss it in person, preferably over adult beverages.
    For sure. We are still weighing options on trip route this summer. Most likely scenario is North, then West to Montana, then South to Colorado in July/August. I'd guess we would be transiting TX end of Aug/Sep sometime.

As to the weight: Yes, concur, this metric is something I've been tracking as one of those objective measurements you make when you are in analysis paralysis. Fortunately (or unfortunately) for me, I buy and sell carry guns more frequently than Imelda Marcos changes shoes, so I have accumulated a lot of data.

I suppose it started when I weighed my Walther PPS M2. Now *that* was a comfortable carry gun; but it 'felt' a bit heavy. I started wondering, well, exactly how much *did* it weigh. Then it occurred to me (being a numbers guy) a simple ratio of ounces to rounds might be interesting. So over the years I began to put my carry rig on a kitchen scale, in the holster, chambered up ready to put on.

Pretty much the all time champ is the Glock 19; it is yet another reason why it's so popular. The fact the P365X is about the same is a testament to how weight efficient the little Sig is.

So, yeah, at the end of the day it's just a number. But I do believe overall carry weight, as a metric, is underplayed when selecting a carry gun. A heavy gun is more of a pain to carry, since it will drag down more on your belt, and all things being equal, may require more belt tension, causing more friction on your waist. There are some objective benefits to lightness in an EDC.

Specifically, for the WC Tungsten weights, 1.5 oz added in the butt makes the gun slightly less top heavy, and allows a fractionally better return to sight picture after recoil, with the added mass. I mean, it's not much, but you can tell. And that improved 'heft' of the gun doesn't add appreciably to the overall rig weight. For me, as both a carry and target pistol, making my EDC more enjoyable to shoot means I'll take it to the range more often, and practice more with it. I doubt seriously I would take it to a 2 day Gabe class (Glock 19 for that) but it is fun to take to the range.

Sorry for being long winded; second cup of coffee this morning and all that.

Will keep in touch Chuck, hopefully see ya'll this summer. My stocks of Shiner Bock are getting low.

Nice piece of kit.

Name:  4901163A-63C5-43FC-A20A-801DD81E46BA.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  43.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Nice piece of kit.

Name:  4901163A-63C5-43FC-A20A-801DD81E46BA.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  43.1 KB
    Which Vedder holster is that?

Found it. I didn't see it when I looked on Vedder's site yesterday for some reason but found it when looking again today so I may order one for my G42.
    https://www.vedderholsters.com/pocket-locker-holster/

I ended up buying three different pocket holsters for my Glock 42 and am evaluating them this weekend.

I like the minimalist design of the Boraii and am trying it in different shorts and pants. So far, I like it but there are a few items of clothing where it looks to me to imprint enough to be identified as a pistol. I will have to mess around with it a bit more and ask my wife to take a look and see what she thinks.

The next one I got was the SM-5 Small Sticky Holster and this one is definitely small and it conceals the G42 very well in both my cargo and golf style shorts.I have not tried it in any of my jeans or pants that I generally wear to work but I will give them a try over the weekend as well.

The third pocket holster I got was from Clinger and I believe they only have two sizes,compact and large. It conceals well but it is quite a bit bigger than the Sticky Holster and doesn't allow me to zip the lower pickets on my golf shorts. I will be sending this one back.

For an even smaller pocket option, I'm hoping to get to try out a Ruger LCP Max when I go to the range this weekend. I looked at one last night when I stopped by Academy, and boy is it tiny. I got to compare it to the P365 and Glock 42 and I definitely think this would be a great pocket option as well as a backup gun. I don't expect it to shoot as well or be as fun to shoot as the Glock 42 of course, but for the price and capacity, I think it will make for a neat little option.

User Tag List