Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eyes Front, Keep Walking

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Then proceeds to tell me how he is jealous because, "I can't even take my jacket off because I'm packing". He pats his chintzy leather shoulder holster and XD under his left arm through his blazer.
    Me too, that's why I can't take off my pants. *pats groin*
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Took me a sec to see the gun. Is that a SERPA?
    Honestly, I didn't notice the kind of holster at the time. I think it is a Serpa. In summer of 2017, Black bears were killing people in city parks around Anchorage, and everyone was packing a gun.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-28-2022 at 12:39 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    In San Antonio, I saw three civilian OC'ers. All were packing pounds in t-shirts and jeans with a semi in a POS. No extra mag, showing their tactical expertise. Eating at a local BBQ joint, were two Helotes cops (I was chowing down with friends). Mr. OC has to go over to them to stand over their table and chat. Their looks were funny as you might imagine.

I did see this. Mr. Blubber in a very tight black Glock logo t-shirt with a giant Sneaky Pete. Wow - really hidden.

Now the law. Three guys in white dress shirts and pants with guns and badges on the belt at a Jason's having lunch. Near the big FBI building. Two guys in sports shirts with gold badges on the belt and guns getting grub at Whole Foods. Four nicely, professionally dressed women with gold badges and Glocks in the nice bistro on Broadway. All nicely dressed.

In Cabelas, a TX ranger comes in with a cowboyish dress shirt and cowboy hat and chrome 1911. The guys at the gun counter looked like they saw Marilyn Monroe in her prime, stark naked. Talk about drool.

In a small town in sticks (out there for a funeral) and we stop for BBQ - two guys (local law) with 1911s and badges on the belt. Outdoorish shirts and jeans.

OC, except for out in the field - is for posturing for the most part.
    The way I think about what someone called 'detective casual' is that it puts the officer at what even a rookie should recognize as a significant tactical disadvantage.

The first problem is that they may have an 'I'm in plainclothes' mindset, when actually they are in a uniform, generally without ballistic protection and no means of communication other than a cell phone. In terms of the FBI badge on the belt, in an active situation officers recognize the weapon, not the badge on the belt.

The second danger is that often they are engaged in activities that can, and often do, lower one's situational awareness. Do you think the guys you saw at Jason's were heads up and scanning, or lost in the moment talking about office idiocy?

I'm surprised the FBI tolerates such shenanigans. But then again, the guys they have acting as technical advisors on the trio of FBI shows on CBS apparently think it's okay.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    All the lunching officers I mentioned seemed to be engaged in their grub in a very crowded lunch environment. All tables full, loads of people moving back and forth. Servers, customers. Now I don't think those places are particularly high risk but not my lane. I'm just chowing down also and not scanning. I was in condition dessert. My buddies don't even carry. They talk the gun talk but are the one box of 50 every few months, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I'm surprised the FBI tolerates such shenanigans. But then again, the guys they have acting as technical advisors on the trio of FBI shows on CBS apparently think it's okay.
    A friend was a technical adviser for a TV movie production (not LE) and said that the movie crew followed his advice only when it suited them. It’s unlikely the advisors have any kind of veto power.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    All the lunching officers I mentioned seemed to be engaged in their grub in a very crowded lunch environment. All tables full, loads of people moving back and forth. Servers, customers. Now I don't think those places are particularly high risk but not my lane. I'm just chowing down also and not scanning. I was in condition dessert. My buddies don't even carry. They talk the gun talk but are the one box of 50 every few months, if at all.
    Ummm… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_shooting
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I once saw a guy OCing in the grocery store with his wife. I said "Nice Sig. Which model?" I thought he was going to bust a button he was so happy someone finally noticed.

Turns out it was a 229 Legion in .357Sig. I was getting a lecture on the ballistic superiority of the .357Sig and what a one shot man stopper it was when, fortunately, his wife noticed that he had fallen behind and called for him to catch up.

I now keep my mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I tend to regard offering unsolicited advice to strangers as something that just isn’t done.
    This. Also, even if it were welcomed, there's a time and place and the seasonal aisle would not be my choice of venue for remedial firearms education save for some pretty extreme circumstances.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    I just figure they've got problems with their "other" gun and give them a wide berth.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Same, except in Alaska…

Alaska, though.

And fit, young, and reasonably well dressed for her environment.
    Last edited by Duelist; 01-28-2022 at 05:38 PM.

Whose image is on the jeans label?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List