Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current LE 10.5 M4 Carbines

Current LE 10.5 M4 Carbines

I was asked to find some Colt M4 Commandos for our Moto Officers to be mounted in the HD saddlebags in a ProGuard lock.

I looked up the specs for the ProGuard mount and it specifies "Fits Colt “Commando” M4 Carbine or variant (maximum 27¼” overall weapon length with stock collapsed)"

It appears Colt Commando may be difficult to find, and they have an 11.5 barrel which may take them over the max length.

I looked at the FN 11.5 SRP and its min overall length is 27.5"

I need to find a 10.5" M4 that can be purchased through an outlet to be an approved vendor (City Govt Rules) with a max collapsed length of 27.25".

Are 10.5" Colts still available? Model #?
    any 10.5" variants that I can look at of quality manufacture (no PSA or pieced together)

buying 16" M4 carbine gas length is not out of the question if I have to switch to a 10.5 barrel and heavier buffer.

I am sorry if this is common knowledge, I got transferred back to Patrol a few years ago and busier than ever. Workload and handguns (ha!) and I lost track with the M4 platforms and what is currently available.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by SW CQB 45; 01-27-2022 at 11:26 AM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I was asked to find some Colt M4 Commandos for our Moto Officers to be mounted in the HD saddlebags in a ProGuard lock.

I looked up the specs for the ProGuard mount and it specifies "Fits Colt “Commando” M4 Carbine or variant (maximum 27¼” overall weapon length with stock collapsed)"

It appears Colt Commando may be difficult to find, and they have an 11.5 barrel which may take them over the max length.

I looked at the FN 11.5 SRP and its min overall length is 27.5"

I need to find a 10.5" M4 that can be purchased through an outlet to be an approved vendor (City Govt Rules) with a max collapsed length of 27.25".

Are 10.5" Colts still available? Model #?
    any 10.5" variants that I can look at of quality manufacture (no PSA or pieced together)

I am sorry if this is common knowledge, I got transferred back to Patrol a few years ago and busier than ever. Workload and handguns (ha!) and I lost track with the M4 platforms and what is currently available.

thanks in advance
    Most LE running SBR's are running 11.5" guns for reliability and durability reasons. There's a reason nearly all Fed LE (FBI, ICE, CBP/USBP, USSS, etc) running SBRs are running 11.5". The only one I'm aware of running 10.5" guns is Dept of State running Mk18's.

@TGS

Prior to the Navy asking for the Mk18 Colt refused to make AR's shorter than 11.5" AFAIK Colt doesn't offer a 10.5" for commercial/LE sales.

If I had to have a 10.5"/10.3" DI gun for duty I would be looking at Daniel Defense, maybe Geissele, BCM or Son of Liberty Gunworks.

Sub 11.5" is one instance where it might be worth looking at piston guns since it eliminates the dwell time issue. The HK 416 and LWRC's are available as 10-ish inch guns.

this was spec by our SWAT Commander some years ago (I guess when 10.5) was everywhere and 11.5 was the new guy on the block,

LE6945CQB which are actually 10.3"

11.5" barrels are to long for the Harley bags and Pro Guard mounts.

thanks for the info. I will check into those.

Site Supporter
    My 10.5" LMT has been tits.

May be worth a look.

Site Supporter
    Arms unlimited lists the le6945cqb in stock https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-5.../le6945cqb.htm

Checking websites, 11.5 has taken over for 5.56.

LMT has a 10.5 with an overall length of 26" and I left a message with their LE Dept to call me.

thanks

Interestingly, the website itself says it'll fit up to 27.5", which would give you a lot more options since the 11.5" rifles would be available. Obviously, this contradicts their published spec sheet, which they link in said website. Might be worth reaching out to Pro-gard and double checking to see which number is right, given the advantages of the 11.5".

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Interestingly, the website itself says it'll fit up to 27.5", which would give you a lot more options since the 11.5" rifles would be available. Obviously, this contradicts their published spec sheet, which they link in said website. Might be worth reaching out to Pro-gard and double checking to see which number is right, given the advantages of the 11.5".
    great idea

I thought max length on the ProGuard website was 27.25"

Can you retrofit a LAW folder later? A factory BCM 12.5 and a LAW would be a sweet combo

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Can you retrofit a LAW folder later? A factory BCM 12.5 and a LAW would be a sweet combo
    I thought about that too and I agree with that set up.

My current issue is a 12.5 BCM upper on a Colt SP1 lower.

The lower was likely evidence many moons ago (before my time) as its machined to a full auto. It's registered to the dept, but when I found it on SWAT it had a horrible fit 16" barrel and semi auto trigger. I told Admin that somehow through the years, the stuff that was supposed to be on there walked off. They allowed me to return it what it should be.

I took off the full auto trigger (stored in a locked cabinet) as everyone wanted to dump a mag but the trigger press was not that great. The hammer pin holes were starting to get oblong. I put a ALG trigger and those contraptions to secure the trigger and hammer pins and all is well.

User Tag List