Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shot Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @JCL, how are you liking your Kestrel Shot Timer?
    It's a nice piece of kit, feels solid in the hand. Good ergos. I haven't fully explored all of the gee whiz stuff like bluetooth connectivity, nameable presets and multiple par times but it does all of the basic stuff really well. Menus and navigation are simple and intuituve. The review function is impressive. The dry fire sensitivity setting works as advertised, which is nice because that was my main reason for getting it. My only minor gripe is that the beep on its loudest setting isn't quite as loud as my Pocket Pro, but it's plenty loud even double-bagged with plugs and muffs over ears that have definitely seen better days in the higher registers.
    "The older I get, the more I think that just staying home and drinking the good stuff by yourself is way underrated as a healthy practice." - Totem Polar

"An entire worldview devoted to being offside." - feudist

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    In the mean time, I just got a RangeTech timer in that I'll be testing. I received the unit right at one month after purchase.
    Mixed feelings so far.

Things I don't like:

My biggest complaint is that the beep isn't loud enough. I double plug with Howard Leights ANRs and foamies and I can barely hear the beep when the timer is attached to my belt. By comparison, the Pocket Pro 2 volume is good and I wish the AMG was a little louder. I wish this was a lot louder.

Navigating the app for basic functions is a bit clunky. For instance, you have to dig into menus and enter numbers to get to delay vs instant start. Same with par time. It'd be nice to have a quick On/Off in the main menu for those functions.

It does not have an auto-off function.

Like the PP2, it doesn't feel super durable. The AMG spoiled me here. Time will tell how it holds up to range bag life.

It would be nice if the par time function in the app was usable without the timer paired.

Things I do like:
    Otherwise, it works about as expected.

It picks up centerfire shots fine. It does not pick up dryfire, which I knew going in. I haven't tried shooting indoors, .22lr, suppressed or near other shooters yet.

Bluetooth pairing is straight forward enough(IOS).
    David S.

My biggest complaint is that the beep isn't loud enough. I double plug with Howard Leights ANRs and foamies and I can barely hear the beep when the timer is attached to my belt. By comparison, the Pocket Pro 2 volume is good and I wish the AMG was a little louder. I wish this was a lot louder.
    One thing I have started doing for rimfire Steel Challenge when I double plug is use double electronics.

I use Howard Leights muffs and Walkers plugs and turn them both up.

Dunno if that’s an option for you, but thought I’d mention it.

It’s also possible to do something a little less deadening than foamies. Like silicone putty swimmer plugs.

The screen failed on my AMG Labs timer. I emailed them using the website contact form, but haven't heard back. I need to pursue it further. I have no doubt he'll make it right.

TLDR, It seems to be working again.

info @ amg - lab dot com for the company email.

Alex contacted me and patiently walked me through making some back end adjustments.

After all that, I think I had some battery corrosion on one of the terminals. Rotating the battery seemed to have increased the contact/voltage enough to brighten the screen. I cleaned them up with vinegar, and that seemed to do the trick. I'm not quite "check to see that it's plugged it in" retarded, but pretty close. *facepalm.*
    David S.

User Tag List