Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shot Timer

Shot Timer

I’m interested in suggestions on a good shot timer. Currently have an app on my phone, but would like a dedicated timer. Is there a particular model that is the “gold standard”? Any to avoid?

Thanks much!

The AMG Lab Commander is the best that I've tried.

• Sensitive enough to pick up a hammer/striker drop in dryfire
    • Bluetooth functionality to automatically populate the time within PractiScore

I recommend buying it from Brass Pickers (https://www.brasspickers.com/range-s...-lab-commander). It comes in stock once or twice a month. This is better than buying it direct and having to wait 6+ months.

Alternatives:
    • Competition Electronics Pocket Pro I or II
    • Competition Electronics ProTimerBT (Bluetooth version, also comes with a headphone jack)
    • PACT Club Shot 3

I've had my early production AMG Labs Commander shot timer since Alex developed it in 2018. Reference thread here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Lab-Shot-Timer

It has performed with zero issues. I use it almost every day for Dry Practice. Set to the right sensitivity, it will pick up the "click" of striker release on my Glocks. It will also sync up via bluetooth to a smart device; although this is a feature I've not explored a lot. I like the large, easy to read display, simple logic, and easy setup of parameters using the buttons. Par times are settable with a resolution of 0.050 seconds. The beep can be set from LOUD to Medium to soft, soft enough it doesn't bug my wife when I'm practicing. It is available with various belt options. I have mine on an unlatched tek-lok that I slip over my USPSA belt, then tip up to change various par times when running drills. I use mine with 4xAAA Eneloop rechargeable batteries.

Seems like at just about every match I've been to over the past 3 years, the RO is using an AMG Commander, so they are all over the place.

Previous to this, I used a PocketPro II timer, the large one with the 9V battery. It was ok, but a bit clunky to use. Before that, I used a basic shot timer on my phone, but found a dedicated timer with par settings to be vastly more useful.

They are hard to come by, Alex is having trouble filling orders as fast as he would like. They are extremely popular.

I quite like mine.

Name:  IMG_9703.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  58.7 KB

The Active Self Protection guys advertise the RangeTech timer. I've never messed with one personally, but it seems like a neat option.

ETA: I personally use the AMG Labs timer. I used the Pocket Pro II before that. It worked fine, except it's bulky and 9v batteries are a pain. I kept having to re-solder the cheap connector pigtail.
    David S.

Right tool for the right job

Dry fire: phone app for fast reps and set programs. I can audibly tell if I beat a par time, I don’t need to record usually.

Live fire: AMG commander and PractiScore App. Can download and compare split times and runs for review.

Live fire indoors: Shotmaxx wrist worn timer with accelerometer so it only picks up your shots and filters out the asshole with the AR pistol next stall over.

My AMG Commander has been great… until recently. The start button is wearing out. :-(
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My AMG Commander has been great… until recently. The start button is wearing out. :-(
    @alexmg PMed me right after I posted, and arranged for me to send my unit in for repair. All I have to do is pay $13 for shipping. THAT is good customer service!

BTW, I have one of the first Commander shot timers and I can't even begin to estimate the number of cycles on that button.

Another vote for the AMG... I like it cause it picks up dry fire.

http://instagram.com/p/B-IyVkKJbtq/

I have 3, the AMG, Pocket Pro II, and Pact III. One of the clubs I shoot at has the CED 8000 and CED 7000.

Of the five, my favorite is the AMG. The only thing I wish the AMG had was the microphone on the opposite side as the display screen. If I can I like to point the timer’s microphone at the shooter and have the display facing me so I can use my peripheral vision to see if the shots are registering. That said, with the sensitivity bumped up I haven’t had any issues RO-ing even the quietest PCCs or rimfire rifles.

My next favorite is the Pact III, partly because I can see the display while pointing the microphone towards the shooter. But adjusting sensitivity is a PITA with that tiny screw underneath the battery. The Pocket Pro II is better for adjusting features, plus the back light, but it feels kinda chincy in the hand. Plus the LCD screen developed a shadow which is annoying. I mainly got the PPII for dry fire since it has good par time features.

I don’t like holding the CED 8000, but the big display is nice. The 7000 was kinda neat sized, but I much prefer the AMG’s functionality. I got my AMG in early 2020 and have been using it exclusively since.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Another vote for the AMG... I like it cause it picks up dry fire.

http://instagram.com/p/B-IyVkKJbtq/
    That’s probably why my start button wore out…

User Tag List