Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fmj bullets with no cannelure in a revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Bullets may creep forward from inertial dislodgement, causing erratic velocity and possibly binding cylinder rotation unless they are either deep seated and crimped over the ogive, like USAF PGU-12B and-or glued in with Black Lucas like the WW2 .38 Special steel jacket FMJ rounds. Will probably also need to use smaller diameter expanding plug and tighter size die to obtain enough bullet pull to maintain acceptable ballistic uniformity. You want expander plug 0.002" smaller than bullet. M41 and PGU bullet in .38 Special was .3555" plus 0.0015, minus 0.0000

Lee FCD may help, but if you can rotate seated and crimped bullet with your fingers, therein lies a clue.
    I have some PGU-12B ammo and will try to post a pick later. I’ve never pulled a bullet but suspected they were loaded with a 38 super FMJBT bullet.

I would use the FCD unless you are shooting longer ranges.

Here’s a pic of the PGU-12B ammo and my model 15. The bullet is indeed .355. Looks to me like they took they m41 ball bullet and seated deeper and crimped the case. I wonder if they even changed the powder charge since deep seating the bullet would create higher pressures.

Name:  5DC9B5E8-FAF1-4C8E-94FA-8D4BCE541A25.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  47.7 KB

Looks like using a 9MM bullet would work.

User Tag List