Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Alfa Foxtrot 15rd 1911/2011 type pistol, ~size of G43X

I would like to see what either Staccato or Bul could do in the way of a CSX-ish micro 2011.

Nice idea to use the Shield mags... that way at least you can salvage something for your G43X/G48 after you get tired of fooling around with this

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Are you referring to the EDC X9? If so, thatÂ’s not a Beretta magazine. I believe itÂ’s a modified Walther.
    You are correct in that Wilson even stated that they used Walther tubes as a base because they were also in the area/region with their factory. Not sure the details or what that means, but Wilson said it.

For the record however, Walther tubes beginning way back were copies of Beretta tubes because they worked. In fairness, there isn't a lot different you can do with a 9mm tube as most will have similar dimensions. Feed lips, mag cutout, and where the stop is cut is mostly all that varies. From there it's all about length, plate, etc. to match the gun.

I went down that rabbit hole years ago with a P99. P88 mags would kind of work but it was about length and a few other details. P88 mags were based on Beretta mags, plain and simple. Moving past the P99, the PPQ was designed to take P99 mags. There's some generational differences in some of them with feed lips, ramp location, and some other stuff I can't remember but again, essentially the same tube. I'm sure Wilson is well aware of this and having many Beretta mags on hand I'm sure started the whole thing.

The P226 and some others use the basic tube as well with the previously mentioned possible differences. Like I said, there isn't much you can do different with a 9mm tube and apparently Beretta got it correct. Now, I've also been told the tube is the same or can be made to work in a Hi-Power but I can't verify that at all. If that's the case, then Beretta copied a tube that started life in the 1920's/30's. As I said, the (Beretta) design is no better than from Sig, Walther, et al. It's essentially the same design tube anyway. However, Beretta mags are extremely plentiful due to popularity of the 92 platform for so long, and cheaper because of this. Flood the market and that's the result.

To get back on topic, I see why they used the Shield tube/mag design but I personally wish they would have used something else. If you have a new offering that has a limited audience to begin with at least entice them. Choosing a plentiful Glock platform is a good choice, choosing the G43X/G48 whose draw is a 3rd party magazine not so much.
    Last edited by Raven5; 02-01-2022 at 09:31 AM.

Site Supporter
    My P99 will feed rounds from a Beretta 92 mag if I hold it in place. It won’t lock in and sticks out the bottom.

Name:  C24315CD-A590-41A2-B502-508814D09E4D.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  44.2 KBName:  B550A1A1-9177-42AF-B9B7-E505D1D8A0B6.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  32.0 KB

Site Supporter

I was doing a little snooping on alpha foxtrot…

I found some of their AF1911 government .45s on sale for well under a grand:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922584122

And, for that price, they supposedly have:

-Forged frame, slide and barrel. 416, I believe (not that I know why, or if, 416 is better than other numbers).
    -Hand lapped/fitted slide and frame
    -A “super match” barrel—so I guess they’re accurate.
    -melonite finish

Maybe there’s something I’m missing, but, it seems like a very high-quality gun for the money. Still curious about the S15, but, if their other products are any indication… could be some good shit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    My P99 will feed rounds from a Beretta 92 mag if I hold it in place. It won’t lock in and sticks out the bottom.
    Name:  00250CF1-B159-43AD-85D9-A65C947382B7.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  41.3 KB
    Name:  5157086B-2AF3-417E-BCC5-4A0EE5F25240.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  39.4 KB
    Take a cutoff wheel or dremel and cut a new notch where the factory mags have them. I have 10 that I use as range mags for my M9, P226, P229, and M&P 2.0 Compact. Feeds reliably in all platforms with just the Sig mag release cutout added but won’t lock the slide back unless you change out the follower. Literally been doing this for years; that’s why I made my comment about the Beretta mags having such a good design.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Are you referring to the EDC X9? If so, that’s not a Beretta magazine. I believe it’s a modified Walther.
    As an aside I can confirm that TTI Walther basepads work with EDC X9 magazines with just a slight bit of grinding for clearance at the rear.

Name:  7819D0CC-7E57-47D0-99C4-7C4BCE7A4C2F.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  75.7 KB

Site Supporter
    I wish I could get plain metal Beretta 92 baseplates on my P99 mags. I've tried, but they don't fit. I hate the flared-out sides of the P99's plastic mag bases. They kinda get in the way, for me. I actually ground off the sides, on one of mine. I also wanna get another backstrap and grind down the hump. I love the P99, but the ergos are kinda... weird. Nevertheless, it shoots great. And it's stoopid lightweight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Name:  00250CF1-B159-43AD-85D9-A65C947382B7.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  41.3 KB
    Name:  5157086B-2AF3-417E-BCC5-4A0EE5F25240.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  39.4 KB
    Take a cutoff wheel or dremel and cut a new notch where the factory mags have them. I have 10 that I use as range mags for my M9, P226, P229, and M&P 2.0 Compact. Feeds reliably in all platforms with just the Sig mag release cutout added but won’t lock the slide back unless you change out the follower. Literally been doing this for years; that’s why I made my comment about the Beretta mags having such a good design.
    That's interesting. I had read that they used the 92 mags as a basis for the P88 mags. Which, apparently, then served as the basis for the P99 mags.

Honestly, I'm like a neanderthal with a Dremel. I'm not sure I'd be qualified for something that needed to be precise/functional.

Edit: I've heard Neanderthals were actually very intelligent, with excellent fine motor skills. So... that analogy might be misplaced. Nevertheless, I still suck with a Dremel.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 02-11-2022 at 02:47 PM.

User Tag List