Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Foxtrot 15rd 1911/2011 type pistol, ~size of G43X

I don't think that the 2011 has undesirable traits. The 2011 mag is also just fine in the new iteration. Just not common in the market so very expensive mags.

And for the record, Beretta doublestack mags are no better than most other doublestack mags from Sig, CZ, Steyer, S&W, Walther, etc. etc. You can only do so much with the design from doublestack to single feed and those have been done for decades now. STI mags have a different taper than the Para design which was intended to not be as abrupt and improve reliability. (That's also why for the same length they have slightly different capacity, STI being less).

Wilson is a big 92 fan so that's the mag used. Could easily have been something else. Not saying a bad choice at all, just the facts.

Also, some STI/SVI triggers fit Para frames so it's the trigger bow opening width that matters. Apparently some are wide enough for the Para design, which Rock Island Armory uses so some of those triggers can be used in RIA pistols. Keep in mind, the original Para was designed as a true doublestack for .45 ACP not a doublestack for 9mm or 40S&W/10mm so it's about as wide as it gets.

Also if memory serves, Dan Wesson used a Caspian doublestack frame and those were designed to use the Witness/Tanfoglio mags. I'd have to double check that though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raven5 View Post
    I don't think that the 2011 has undesirable traits. The 2011 mag is also just fine in the new iteration. Just not common in the market so very expensive mags.

And for the record, Beretta doublestack mags are no better than most other doublestack mags from Sig, CZ, Steyer, S&W, Walther, etc. etc.
    It depends on your use case. It's unnecessarily bulky for its size and capacity, so that's a negative for concealment. Some consider the grip safety a negative, especially on the thicker grip. The two piece frame has pluses and minuses.

A lot of other company's mags, including some of Walther's and Sig's, are Beretta mags (with changes to overall length and mag catch cut). And as mentioned upthread, that mag is not only inherently a good design, but it's benefitted from ongoing improvement from a dozen different companies.

Site Supporter
    And for the record, Beretta doublestack mags are no better than most other doublestack mags from Sig, CZ, Steyer, S&W, Walther, etc. etc. You can only do so much with the design from doublestack to single feed and those have been done for decades now. STI mags have a different taper than the Para design which was intended to not be as abrupt and improve reliability. (That's also why for the same length they have slightly different capacity, STI being less).

Wilson is a big 92 fan so that's the mag used. Could easily have been something else. Not saying a bad choice at all, just the facts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Hmm… kinda my point. Beretta mags are absolutely not better…since they are the same tubes. So much so that I have eight that, with a properly placed cut, I use my M9 mags reliably in my M9, P229, and M&P 2.0C. Mecgar has done pretty well with the design over the decades, reliably getting 18-20 to work with redesigned followers and baseplates. My point was why reinvent the wheel when redesigning from .45 to 9 when a great (and inexpensive) mousetrap was already on the shelf? I’m assuming smarter engineers than me thought about it and there’s a reason but…

And Wilson used Walther mags.

The Tripp McCormick 2011 is a .45 design, too. Rated 12 rounds, but I have to jump on the Uplula to get 11.
    Look at the flutes in the smaller caliber magazines.

The Caspian was designed as a 20 shot .38.
    Reported to hold ten .45s if you just must.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

The Caspian was designed as a 20 shot .38.
    Reported to hold ten .45s if you just must.
    Caspian designed their high cap frame around large frame tanfoglio mags...
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

OK but that amounted to 20 .38s in the IPSC "flush magazine" era.
    They used to sell magazines. Maybe they were TZ tubes with distinctive Caspian basepads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    OK but that amounted to 20 .38s in the IPSC "flush magazine" era.
    They used to sell magazines. Maybe they were TZ tubes with distinctive Caspian basepads.
    Not sure who made their tubes (first generation) , they used mecgar tubes on the second generation IRC. The bigger point is they used tanfoglio as the pattern. Slight modifications had to be made to mag catch area to use tanfoglio mags.

Much like the preceding pages talk of M9 and Walther tubes in other pattern guns...
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

I have read of cutting TZ magazines for the Caspian catch
    Strangely, MBX lumps them together
    "MBX tube is designed to work with CaspianTangfolio grips and mag catch height."

Are you referring to the EDC X9? If so, that’s not a Beretta magazine. I believe it’s a modified Walther.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    Not sure who made their tubes (first generation) , they used mecgar tubes on the second generation IRC. The bigger point is they used tanfoglio as the pattern. Slight modifications had to be made to mag catch area to use tanfoglio mags.

Much like the preceding pages talk of M9 and Walther tubes in other pattern guns...
    The original Caspian mags were made in house according to Caspian. They even spoke about how they went on 24 hour shifts just before the AWB took effect.

Later magazines were made by ProMag, and as you can imagine not all that great. I was shooting rimless, but a buddy shot the tradition .38 super and the rim made an indentation (more of an out-dentation) down one side of the magazine. I shot Caspians in open and limited. I shot mostly the original mags in open, even had a 27 round weld job, save for one 29 round ProMag I’d use as needed. In the .40, a used the ProMags exclusively because I preferred 20 in the magazine vs. 16. Feed lips needed to be reshaped on occasion.

User Tag List