Thread: Hogue 1911 grip question

Hogue 1911 grip question

My question is in regards to Hogue 1911 grips that are described as "thick grips". Their standard grip is 1/4" (8/32") where their thick grip is 9/32". Just wondering if any of you shooters have tried the thick grips. If so, opinions? Just looking for a bit more grip area to hold onto. Thanks in advance!!

Probably not much help, but I've got a set of their G10 grips, which I consider to be "average" thickness grips; the top of the left grip is sufficient to provide partial wrap-around support to the plunger tube (which I consider to be an essential 1911 grip requirement). I consider them excellent grips. Mine were from the Hogue "seconds" selection, which in my case were a set of flawless grips in a discontinued pattern (which I actually preferred to the pattern that replaced them)-it's worth checking out if you're considering getting a set of their grips.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Probably not much help, but I've got a set of their G10 grips, which I consider to be "average" thickness grips; the top of the left grip is sufficient to provide partial wrap-around support to the plunger tube (which I consider to be an essential 1911 grip requirement). I consider them excellent grips. Mine were from the Hogue "seconds" selection, which in my case were a set of flawless grips in a discontinued pattern (which I actually preferred to the pattern that replaced them)-it's worth checking out if you're considering getting a set of their grips.

Best, Jon
    Do you have to change the grip bushings or do they work with regular screws and bushings?

I have large hands and long fingers. Sometimes I felt like I was gripping my primary hand and not the frame with my support hand. I thought oversized would be my fix.

Years ago, Larry Davidson (AKA Monkey Grips) had an oversize option. IIRC, it was two sizes, and I ordered the Chubs which were the next size up. I don't recall the name of the next size up or the thickness.

I actually ordered several pair and originally, I thought I liked them. Over time, I just preferred original thickness and learned how to grip more consistently. In competition (accuracy), I felt the thicker grips place my trigger finger at a different placement on the trigger face.

I eventually sold them all, however I have one pair left but there was something wrong with them (I can't recall the issue.... might have been uneven) and I sent them back to LD who supposedly reduced the thickness but in doing so also reduced the traction of the XS Shredders. He would not do scoops as he said 10-8 held the patent.

You can try them if you want. They are green and here is an old pic with them on my MCOP.

they use regular size grip screw bushings.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Thanks for the offer SW CQB 45. I also was looking at VZ palm-swell grips too. I will do like you and dedicate more practice with my 1911. I don’t shoot the 1911 very often. Then when I do, I wonder why I don’t shoot it more.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Do you have to change the grip bushings or do they work with regular screws and bushings?
    With the OEM bushings.Best, Jon

I have recently tested out the Techwell and Hogue thick grips. The Techwell grips are rounded (swelled) front to back and the Hogues are flat sided, they have the same max thickness. The Hogues creat an overall larger grip and the flat panels provide more surface for support hand engagement. The only downside to the Hogues is the double diamonds (I don't like the look and the top diamond is where I would prefer more checkering) and there is little relief for the thumb to reach the mag catch. I will be installing and extended mag catch to deal with this.

I have slim but very long hands and fingers.
    I would buy Hogue standard or thick if you want more room for your support hand or find another vendor that provides flat sided grips. The flat sides are key for my grip.

User Tag List