Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn’t HK make low bore axis handguns like the P7 anymore?

Why doesn’t HK make low bore axis handguns like the P7 anymore?

All of their “new” models are hideously clunky and top heavy. Any idea why they don’t return to a design that made them famous?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hk45 View Post
    All of their “new” models are hideously clunky and top heavy. Any idea why they don’t return to a design that made them famous?
    Because the striker guns they're selling now DO have a lower bore axis than hammer fired models of the past.

If you want a modern P7 that doesn't burn your hands when you run the gun, you'll need to get an Alien Luago.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Because the striker guns they're selling now DO have a lower bore axis than hammer fired models of the past.

If you want a modern P7 that doesn't burn your hands when you run the gun, you'll need to get an Alien Luago.
    True. But still considerably a higher axis than Glock or the CZ P10. I’d love an Luago but unfortunately I would have to take out a second mortgage to afford.

Site Supporter
    Europeans engineers generally don’t shoot and institutional buyers (whom euro gun companies consider their “real” customers) don’t care.

Why don’t they care? Because the significance of “low bore axis” is debatable at best. I can assure you those hideous clunky top-heavy pistols work just fine for shooting people.

The designs that made HK famous were the G3 and the MP5…..

Dry practice more or pick a platform that’s easier to shoot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Europeans engineers generally don’t shoot and institutional buyers (whom euro gun companies consider their “real” customers) don’t care.

Why don’t they care? Because the significance of “low bore axis” is debatable at best. I can assure you those hideous clunky top-heavy pistols work just fine for shooting people.

The designs that made HK famous were the G3 and the MP5…..

Dry practice more or pick a platform that’s easier to shoot.
    Winner winner chicken dinner. Additionally, ergonomics matters more than bore axis.

I probably came across overly critical in my description of HK’s modern firearms. I love the HK45 but can’t figure out the VP9. It feels, at least to me, to be such an odd design compared with my G19.5. I just wished they could release an update to the P7.

Site Supporter
    I probably came across overly critical in my description of HK’s modern firearms. I love the HK45 but can’t figure out the VP9. It feels, at least to me, to be such an odd design compared with my G19.5. I just wished they could release an update to the P7.
    The PDP and VP9 are more likely bed fellows than the G19 - the main difference I've found shooting them is where the sear breaks in the trigger travel, with Walther being more towards the rear, meaning less over travel.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Winner winner chicken dinner. Additionally, ergonomics matters more than bore axis.
    I had a P7 I made for years, it had a nice trigger pole was one of the first guns to come out of the box with good sites but the fact it was a steel frame 9 mm with a light trigger was a lot more significant than the height of the bore access

CZs are ergonomic and with fairly low bore axis! HK could do it if they the inclination. Only gripe with HK is slowly they bring out new stuff, and how they continue some stodgy old designs all of which are very similar. I think USp came out in like 1992!

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    CZs are ergonomic and with fairly low bore axis! HK could do it if they the inclination. Only gripe with HK is slowly they bring out new stuff, and how they continue some stodgy old designs all of which are very similar. I think USp came out in like 1992!
    Exactly. I’m not sure why HK didn’t do this with the VP9. I know people love them, but I find the muzzle flip is much less controllable than my glocks or CZ’s. Not that this is relevant to the discussion but I also don’t understand why the VP9 feels so cheap compared with their legacy firearms like the HK45. Even the CZ feels better put together. Sorry, just venting. I know HK has stellar engineers but it just doesn’t seem like they are used to their potential.

User Tag List