Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone mount an optic on Troy VTAC Alpha Battlerail?

Anyone mount an optic on Troy VTAC Alpha Battlerail?

The optics I am making reference to are IER (approx 9" of eye relief) "Scout Scopes" like the Leupold Scout Scope 2.5X or the Burris 2.75X or 1.5X. Should the rail mounted scope hold zero or does the rail "move around". I have several of the Leupold scopes mounted in the forward position on leverguns and bolt guns. An inquiring mind wants to know.

I wouldn't mount an optic to that rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I wouldn't mount an optic to that rail.
    I was thinking you might say that. I won't waste my time with that.

The connection of the rail to the barrel nut leaves a lot to be desired. I would like the DD MFR tube instead but it is not worth the effort and money to swap over a few rails just because.

Look into a monolithic upper such as a Vltor VIS. Price sucks but it gets you almost what you want.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The connection of the rail to the barrel nut leaves a lot to be desired. I would like the DD MFR tube instead but it is not worth the effort and money to swap over a few rails just because. I think the DD mount is much better but might still get some movement. A DD Lite rail might be more stable.
    What's the functional difference between the Lite and Omega X rails?
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

The Lite rail is a one piece rail that uses a proprietary barrel nut, the Omega is a 2 piece that uses the existing barrel nut and ring.

Functionally they are the same.

Are there benefits in utilizing the proprietary barrel nut as the attachment/indexing point?
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

None that I am aware of outside of appearance. The downsides are proprietary tools and different (sometimes) install procedures. I think going forward rails that use the GI barrel nut are going to be the norm. The Centurion Arms rails are catching my eye lately and they use a GI barrel nut. Supposed to be a rock solid rail. I would love to get one and set up another gun to shoot but I really can't justify it at the moment.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    Are there benefits in utilizing the proprietary barrel nut as the attachment/indexing point?
    Both the Lite and Omega X use DD's barrel nut. The standard Omega uses a stock barrel nut. The biggest advantage of using DD's barrel nut is that it does not have to be timed to align with the gas tube. You simply torque it to spec and install the rail.

To give some background, I'm looking at adding a rail to my 6920. Currently, with the MOE foregrip, my upper body is too cramped and I was looking at adding a rail that doesn't require shaving the FSB but will give me more reach in the foregrip.

I was looking at the Troy Delta rail, but VG's comments re: how it mounts to the barrel nut got me thinking.

So now I'm looking at the DD options (Omega X, Lite Rail, M4)
    Last edited by bdcheung; 08-22-2012 at 09:07 AM.

User Tag List