Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I have astigmatism...

Site Supporter
    RGP contacts gave me my best astigmatism correction. A correct glasses prescription can be a close second. Astigmatism correcting soft contacts can be good, or can be horrid. I quit all contacts years ago, so am wearing glasses daily. I use a low power bifocal for daily wear indoors and at night, and non-bifocal Wiley X sunglasses for driving, shooting, tennis, hiking, and most other daytime outdoor activities.

I still may get tired and get doubled images, or fuzzy view if I’ve been on a screen too much.

Red dots haven’t worked for me, but I haven’t spent a ton of time with one yet. I suspect I’ll do okay at closer ranges with a large dot or circle on a pistol. Not sure about rifles, but I’m mostly shooting with scopes on rifles nowadays.

I only have a red dot on my lightweight AR and just shoot with the blurry dot. If I wear my contacts it goes away.

On my recce I run an LPVO and have zero issues.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Take a look at the various prismatic RDO's available. Their etched reticles show up sharp and clear versus the blurry/starburst red dot. They also have the advantage of working with a dead battery. Pretty much eliminates the need for BUIS absent the optic being destroyed.

At the present I have three - a Vortex Spitfire 1x (Gen 1 - I think) and I really like its reticle. It is what I would recommend based on my experience.

I also have the Burris AR-1X and the Burris AR-332. The AR-322 is a 3 power prisim. I find it suboptimal inside 25ish yards because of the magnification UNLESS you have the reticle illuminated with the front cover down. So cool beans for the range close in, otherwise not practical. The AR-1X's reticle is terrible, it looks like it was a three power reticle and they shrunk it to 1/3 its size. I wouldn't recommend that one.

The Primary Arms SLx 1X MicroPrism gets good reviews from what I've seen. I haven't handled one.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca10 View Post
    After a very long time thinking about one, I bought an Aimpoint T-2 from a reputable, official online retailer. It turns out that I have astigmatism. Looking through the camera on my phone, my dot is nice and round. When I look through the sight with the naked eye, it is definitely misshapen.

I'm not so much looking for a way to fix it (it is what it is) as I am wondering if anyone with astigmatism just ignores the blurriness and uses a red dot anyway. The benefits of the T-2 (size, weight, battery life) are substantial, and I suspect that they might outweigh the issues that I have with my eyes.
    I just ignore it. Blur is reduced with glasses or contacts but I also shoot with non-corrective eye protection.

Also, for me, turning down the brightness 1 notch makes a lot of difference.

Im using the Holosun 6moa dot... FWIW.. 407k-x2.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Late to the party. I too has astigmatism and a distance correction. I am presently in the neighborhood of -1.25L and 1.75R. Note that one can be up to .25 off on any given day, given the day, operator, machine etc. I am neither fish nor fowl in that I see my front sight much more clearly without any correction but I lack the distance visual acuity to read face as I cross the 10-15 yrd threshold in decreasing light etc. If I wear a "proper" distance correction, it can make reading small to moderate sized text much more challenging/tiring.

I moved away from the EOtech to an Aimpoint Pro primarily because un corrected, the EOt reticle was a big red blob and the 2 moa Aimpoint dot was much less blob like.
    With both my proper distance correction and my shooting RX where I undercorrect my dominant eye (R) down to .5 or .75, I see the Aimpoint Dot much more crisply.

I concur that in the sub 100 m space, presuming we are after 4-8 inch plate accuracy, it probably does not make much difference.

Dialing in an RX when shooting is in play can be more art than science. I have taken an unloaded gun in , I have used a dummy gun and a red sharpie mark on my thumbnail at various times with various docs ( real and virtual) to get a "shooting" RX.

My last OD, via a virtual appt ( very nice lady from STL while I was in KC) stated that the most consistent RX corrections for astigmatism are delivered with glasses v contacts given my visual acuity/issues etc.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have an astigmatism, I find that while dots are kind of annoyingly blobby inside when dry firing, once I am outside in the bright sunlight, the contrast makes the dot much more regular.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Take a look at the various prismatic RDO's available. Their etched reticles show up sharp and clear versus the blurry/starburst red dot. They also have the advantage of working with a dead battery. Pretty much eliminates the need for BUIS absent the optic being destroyed.

At the present I have three - a Vortex Spitfire 1x (Gen 1 - I think) and I really like its reticle. It is what I would recommend based on my experience.

I also have the Burris AR-1X and the Burris AR-332. The AR-322 is a 3 power prisim. I find it suboptimal inside 25ish yards because of the magnification UNLESS you have the reticle illuminated with the front cover down. So cool beans for the range close in, otherwise not practical. The AR-1X's reticle is terrible, it looks like it was a three power reticle and they shrunk it to 1/3 its size. I wouldn't recommend that one.

The Primary Arms SLx 1X MicroPrism gets good reviews from what I've seen. I haven't handled one.
    I have a Vortex Spitfire 1x on an AR-15 and I really like it especially for closer targets.

I got to shoot a CMMG Banshee 9mm with the PA micro prism and it was great.

It had the ACSS reticle with bullet drop and ranging capabilities. I really want to get the one for 5.56/.223 as soon as I am able.

Since you have to wear glasses for shooting why not consider prescription glasses. If, for example, you have any Rudy Project Rydon frames Sight for Sport Eyes will provide monovision lenses with the Rudy project docks for $210 for the pair. I'm finding the yellow to work in virtually all lighting conditions. You would use your distance prescription. Unfortunately, I just found out I need cataract surgery on my left eye so I'll have to replace that lens in a few months once the prescription stabilizes.

I have astigmatism that makes the dot look terrible. Shooting with it and doing the correct target focus taught me it really doesn't matter that much. The dot cleans up significantly in sunlight and focusing on what I'm shooting at instead of the dot. As others have said, looking through the rear aperture of your BUIS cleans up the dot nicely for distance. When I wear prescription glasses or contacts the dot looks much better but I've never seen it perfectly, even with my brief stint with RGP contacts (not compatible with West Texas dust at ALL). I think folks make too big a deal about it, including myself at first. All that said, now I only run red dots on pistols and have moved to the LPVOs on rifles exclusively, they are just more useful even if you do have to put up with some more weight. I'd run a dot on a shotgun if I ever decide to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    With both my proper distance correction and my shooting RX where I undercorrect my dominant eye (R) down to .5 or .75, I see the Aimpoint Dot much more crisply.
    Why don't you correct completely? Is there an advantage in undercorrection?

User Tag List