Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I have astigmatism...

So I have astigmatism...

After a very long time thinking about one, I bought an Aimpoint T-2 from a reputable, official online retailer. It turns out that I have astigmatism. Looking through the camera on my phone, my dot is nice and round. When I look through the sight with the naked eye, it is definitely misshapen.

I'm not so much looking for a way to fix it (it is what it is) as I am wondering if anyone with astigmatism just ignores the blurriness and uses a red dot anyway. The benefits of the T-2 (size, weight, battery life) are substantial, and I suspect that they might outweigh the issues that I have with my eyes.

Site Supporter
    I have an astigmatism and I also have a mild prescription for distance vision. My glasses make the dot nice and crisp, for what that might be worth.

I have very pronounced astigmatism in my sight eye. My new glasses correct somewhat, but without them it's like looking at a streaky Rorschach ink blot test.

For me it depends on what I want to do with the gun. Home defense distances out to 50 yards seems to be a complete non-issue for me with blurry dots. 100 yards starts getting pretty hard to shoot nice groups without my glasses on. If I want any precision past 200 yards, an optic with reticle and adjustable diopter makes a huge difference.

I think your Aimpoint is one of the best zero to 50 yard optics ever devised, astigmatism or no. I happen to shoot at longer ranges because I live in the woods, have the facilities, and it's fun, but if I was being more practical regarding my home defense gun, I should probably be using an Aimpoint micro for that task anyway. I just like to keep only one rifle loaded that has ability to quickly pop a coyote at distance if needs be.

If you aren't going to shoot past 100 yards often, then it probably doesn't make sense to optimize your setup for that task. And you can always get a QD mount if you want to use that rifle in other roles with a different optic setup from time to time.
    Last edited by frozentundra; 01-24-2022 at 11:43 PM.

Also, looking at the dot through a small aperture rear sight can make it look quite a bit better. This can be handy under certain conditions.

I have a astigmatism also. My Aimpoints , Primary Arms and Vortex all look similar. They have a blurry mess as a dot, with a small protrusion at the bottom left of the dot. I use that protrusion as my aiming point.

Glasses

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

If it fits your use case, you might consider replaing the Aimpoint with a PA 1x prism

For pistols, I have found the 407CO reticle is clear and crisp despite my astigmatism. Also green dots look a little better than red. YMMV on those as everyones astigmatism is different.

Site Supporter
    Prescription glasses. Hasn't helped with star-bursts from headlights at night, but helps everything else.

@frozentundra, most of my shooting is 100 yards or less. 200 is pretty much my maximum with a 5.56. I know it is capable of longer distances, but if I am shooting longer distances, I'd prefer another caliber. Good points.

@jeep45238, @Erik, @4RNR, I did not realize that glasses made that much difference. I should have mentioned that I do have contacts, but my last eye exam was like two months ago, and I bought a year's supply of contacts already, so that won't be an option for a while.

Site Supporter
    Astigma corrective contacts are a thing, but rely on gravity to orient a heavier part of the lens in your eye for the correction. It is nowhere near as precise as glasses, unfortunately.

I have motorcycle glasses from Wilex X that Ibuse for work and shooting. You may want to consider buying something like that.

User Tag List