Thread: RFI - Building an addition to a house

RFI - Building an addition to a house

I have a new construction home that I am thinking of building an addition to. It's single story and I would like to add an "in-law" suite with master bath, closet, etc...
    I have never done that before. Where/how do I start?
    Based on some initial research, it appears that I will need drawings (which cost a bit) before I can get bids/estimates on the actual job.
    Any other suggestions, pitfalls, etc... ?

Oh, where to start...depending on what you want to build, you can probably get a designer to draw up a floor plan and architectural views and assuming everything is conventional and code compliant, a GC can give you an estimate. I've seen contractors submit basic sketches to plan review with city inspections, doesn't need to be anything super ornate. Whatever you do, make sure you pull permits and have everything inspected because it's an unholy pain in the ass to get third party inspections done after the fact. And don't believe anything you see on HGTV...

Assuming you live in a jurisdiction with building codes, building permits and zoning- I would see what the jurisdiction requires as part of the permitting process, most spell it out pretty clear on their website.

Some places allow conventional stick built construction w/o stamped plans , same for foundation details if you build to their standard drawings and the applicable code.

A remodal is certainly a big enough investment to involve design professionals and a good architect like a good tax person can save you more than their labor costs...
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I would start off talking to a contractor. A contractor should be able to tell you what exactly you need for whatever your local jurisdiction requires. Some want full prints, some just want to see more or less what it'll be and aren't as concerned with particulars as long as it meets code and passes inspections during construction.

A contractor such as us can take measurements and actually design it for you as well. In our case a "design fee" is just built into our P&O so you won't see a line item for it. OTOH we don't really charge for that up front; we provide it for "free" with the assumption that we're a contender to do the project.

At any rate I would not start off paying for a design or prints, because I've seen too many times where a potential customer does that then is floored by the price to actually do the project. And then they've wasted money on the design.

So yeah, I'd start off just calling a few contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    Any other suggestions, pitfalls, etc... ?
    Little outside the box, but how about a motorhome? No permits and if it doesn't work out...

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Plan for a new HVAC system specifically for the addition if it's sizeable, or upsizing your existing one if not. It's generally not as simple as extending ductwork and it work well.

Our house is basically three distinct stages. The main house, a sunroom which was originally a porch then enclosed, then the full addition with master bedroom, bath, walk-in closet, and laundry room. We have a through the wall AC like motel rooms often have and finally installed a gas heater on the wall. This is after upsizing the furnace and air conditioner years ago with little effect.

Tying in to the existing roof can potentially be a PITA as well. Getting it aesthetically pleasing and leak free if your existing roof is a chopped up bastard (technical term) can be a real bother. If you have a simple roof to tie in to, it's a lot easier.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    What about a modular addition?
    --Jason--

User Tag List