Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New holster day!

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Thanks. I've been considering one of these for my Single-Six and slow Vaquero build but will have to have a think, now.
    Well, how much do you want the holster to do the retaining? Vs the thong or strap?

I'm just so used to the holster doing most of the retaining. I didn't get this for a retention holster. It was specifically meant for the woods..
    I don't think It's bad.

It wouldn't have slid out if the hammer thong was being utilized.

I've found, at least with my Galco 2x2x2 that there's sufficient space for a Bianchi Speed Strip; when using it, I mount the pouch upside down on my belt . Best, Jon

Nice rig.

I found that the Sourdough Pancake had enough retention for sledding, but was surprised at the end of the day to find a 1/8" diameter stick sticking out of the barrel of my GP100. Glad I didn't have to pull the trigger on anything that day.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Well, how much do you want the holster to do the retaining? Vs the thong or strap?
    I'd be using the strap almost all the time and the Single-Six would be the only real field piece of the two. Just need to reassess the options now that the assumed Simply Rugged leather drag is possibly reduced.

The thread about Skeeter and Elmer reminded me of the way Elmer added retention to his sixgun holsters short of the hammer thong. He would punch a single hole through both sides in the vicinity of where the barrel meets the frame and use a knotted thong to tighten it up. If I recall correctly, it saved his life when he got hung up in a stirrup and had to shoot the horse. The modern version would use a Chicago screw in lieu of the thong. Hard to believe I used "thong" three times (4 now).😁

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    This is very minimal. I got this holster in the hopes it had more retention. I am kinda disappointed. With the thong it's fine.

I was just planning on the thong for canoeing and I guess sledding.
    I have owned a bunch of Simply Rugged "Cattleman" holsters, and the retention on most of them is minimal. Without a thong or a strap, they are basically scabbard-like "walking around" holsters... which is fine as long as that is about as active as you get. I now wish I could get a strap installed on a couple of Cattlemen that I already have.

My most recent SR holster acquisition - a pancake - was purchased specifically to be more retentive, and it has the "Keith style" long-tailed strap as well. It's a tad ungainly, but it does the job.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I have owned a bunch of Simply Rugged "Cattleman" holsters, and the retention on most of them is minimal. Without a thong or a strap, they are basically scabbard-like "walking around" holsters... which is fine as long as that is about as active as you get. I now wish I could get a strap installed on a couple of Cattlemen that I already have.

My most recent SR holster acquisition - a pancake - was purchased specifically to be more retentive, and it has the "Keith style" long-tailed strap as well. It's a tad ungainly, but it does the job.
    I have one for my single six as well with a strap. I wouldn't carry it around without it snapped so I'm not sure why I thought I could go without the thong.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I have one for my single six as well with a strap. I wouldn't carry it around without it snapped so I'm not sure why I thought I could go without the thong.
    I have gotten a couple of plain (no thong or strap) Cattlemen just to have a minimalist holster for a particular pistol while plinking in a back 40. One that I had border stamped was a sort of "poor man's fancy holster" for a setup I was allowed to examine as a youngster and have never quite gotten out of my head; if I ever get the combo all done, I may start a thread about it.

But for normal use with my GP100, I now pretty much use an older (uncovered trigger guard) De Santis dual angle hunter rather than the Simply Rugged(s). It is secure enough, the end is closed to debris and I like the ability to shift it over to the other side for reasonably comfortable "crossdraw" use once in a while. I may get a newer production version just to cover a bit more of the gun, but that is a low priority right now.

An old pic of the combination. Visualize a pair of Chig's white holly grip inserts and a few more scuffs...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List