Thread: Knife crime prevention

Site Supporter

Knife crime prevention

Given the recent shootings of officers, the usual folks are on the media discussing prevention of gun violence. Usually, it turns to gun control measures. IMHO, I hear little about deterring people from carrying firearms for bad purposes.

So from a psych feed, here's an interesting take on the UK trying to prevent knife carrying. They have an increase in knife carrying and crime - which suggests the forces driving the recent crime increases in the world are more than simple access to weapons. The study looks at the messaging designed to deter weapons carrying (knives in this case) in the UK. Fear, responsibility to society messaging was attempted experimentally. These message were based on those that authorities had been using and based on various theories.

The bottom line is that none of the various messages had an effect on whether the participants would carry a knife.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...62605211064237

Fear Appeals in Anti-Knife Carrying Campaigns: Successful or Counter-Productive?

I wonder if this is relevant to trying to prevent gun crimes in the USA. Is our messaging ineffective for the same reasons. Just something for those who like to read academic pieces.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That movement has been actively promoted over there since at least 2005.

Advocating that even all kitchen knives be not pointy.

Anonymous drop boxes where someone can get rid of a dangerous knife they don't want.

etc.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Appeals to one's better nature doesn't work if they've never had one instilled in the first place.

Consider Ralphie and Schawrtz's reaction when their teacher tried to use it after 'poor Flick' and the Lamppost Incident. A lot of people know darn well that it's better to not get caught.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Appeals to one's better nature doesn't work if they've never had one instilled in the first place.

Consider Ralphie and Schawrtz's reaction when their teacher tried to use it after 'poor Flick' and the Lamppost Incident. A lot of people know darn well that it's better to not get caught.
    That's beautiful. And every kid knows it's better to not get caught!

User Tag List