Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rough Time For City of Houston-Area/Harris County-Area LE

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Houston has always been what I've called a "gunfight laboratory" and this is no exception. I do wonder why somebody in that crowd didn't settle down and shoot that asshole in the back as he ran away still armed.
    A valid question. A long gun or an optic equipped pistol would’ve made that easier.

I don’t know if it’s already been posted here but my understanding is the one officer who is seen running from the driver side of the ambush vehicle did so because he was shot in the elbow rendering him unable to draw his pistol.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I urge you to consider working in the training academy. Nobody else there has your knowledge.
    While I don’t disagree that Rex G could make valuable contributions at his old agency’s training academy, Do you have any direct experience or knowledge that no one else there has equivalent experience? Or are you presuming?

I am proud of how fast Houston PD homed in on Deputy Galloway's killer. My Coworkers from the HSI Gang Unit were out on the hunt that very night, but only ended up finding the suspects relatives (who have been charged with destruction of evidence and aiding/abetting).

HPD managed to track the bad guy via traffic cameras to a certain point. Once the lost him on the big streets, the began checking the closest apartment complex security cameras. Within a couple of hours, they found the complex the guy went to to switch cars, and saw what apartment he went into... a very impressive effort to track him down.

It has gotten wild here. We currently lead the nation in Homicides, I think we are up to 41 so far this year. Well past NYC, Detroit, Chicago, LA... Our local DA is releasing folks left and right, and the effects are pretty evident.

One of my coworkers was followed from the bank last week. Crooks waited until he went into our building and proceeded to break into the vehicle (G ride). Agents spotted this from the building and ran down to confront. I have to be sparse on detail here... but a confrontation occurred, resistance ensued, and shots were fired. No serious injuries on either side, bad guys in custody. The point of this... the bad guys were laughing and joking about it. It was pointed out to them that one of them came damn close to death, and the other would have been charged with his murder under TX law if rounds had connected on his buddy. They laughed and told our guys they would be out that same night, and now they have a cool story and more street cred, since the feds shot at them. They had no clue they were trying to rob a fed, they just followed him from the bank.

It has always been a bit wild west down here in some parts of Houston. But man, since covid, and the new DA releasing everyone no bond, it has turned up the volume of crazy.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    While I don’t disagree that Rex G could make valuable contributions at his old agency’s training academy, Do you have any direct experience or knowledge that no one else there has equivalent experience? Or are you presuming?
    I have direct evidence which has given me this knowledge. No disrespect to you sir, but I must ask. Did you assume that I presumed?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A valid question. A long gun or an optic equipped pistol would’ve made that easier.

I don’t know if it’s already been posted here but my understanding is the one officer who is seen running from the driver side of the ambush vehicle did so because he was shot in the elbow rendering him unable to draw his pistol.
    I have no inside knowledge of this incident, but, yes, one draw-back of a Level 3 rig is that un-holstering with the support-side hand is no easy task. An old-school break-front allows gross motor skills to be used, after reaching across the front of the body, but the Safariland 6360, which is probably still the standard HPD duty rig, is a much taller hill to climb. The task could well be complicated by slippery blood, on the weapon and/or hands. A self-evacuation, while able to do so, may well have been the best choice, in a moment of no good choices.

A back-up weapon that is accessible to the support hand may not be the best weapon for engaging at extended range.

It is not unusual to take hits in the hands and arms. At the time I retired, I was acquainted with two HPD sergeants who had taken GSWs to the arms, one of whom had been hit in BOTH arms, before he could draw any weapon.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    It is not unusual to take hits in the hands and arms. At the time I retired, I was acquainted with two HPD sergeants who had taken GSWs to the arms, one of whom had been hit in BOTH arms, before he could draw any weapon.
    Life of the typical Houston PD Sergeant:

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I have no inside knowledge of this incident, but, yes, one draw-back of a Level 3 rig is that un-holstering with the support-side hand is no easy task. An old-school break-front allows gross motor skills to be used, after reaching across the front of the body, but the Safariland 6360, which is probably still the standard HPD duty rig, is a much taller hill to climb. The task could well be complicated by slippery blood, on the weapon and/or hands. A self-evacuation, while able to do so, may well have been the best choice, in a moment of no good choices.

A back-up weapon that is accessible to the support hand may not be the best weapon for engaging at extended range.

I was able to access my 5906 with my weak hand from an SS-III when we had those, but I don’t think I was able to get my M&P that way from a 6360. My solution was a compact M&P worn in a body armor holster on my right side, available to my left hand. Of course, I was also younger and more flexible in the 5906 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Houston has always been what I've called a "gunfight laboratory" and this is no exception. I do wonder why somebody in that crowd didn't settle down and shoot that asshole in the back as he ran away still armed.
    I'm glad the department finally started releasing BWC videos of OIS's. They didn't do it for years after we got body cams.

As to why they didn't shoot the suspect in the back as he was running away, my guess is that none of them wanted to be the guy that shot the suspect in the back as he was running away. These were all rookie officers coming up in the age of BLM and defund the police. The optics of a perceived "bad shoot" weighs more on these newer officers than it should, especially when it effects decision making during a gunfight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I'm glad the department finally started releasing BWC videos of OIS's. They didn't do it for years after we got body cams.

As to why they didn't shoot the suspect in the back as he was running away, my guess is that none of them wanted to be the guy that shot the suspect in the back as he was running away. These were all rookie officers coming up in the age of BLM and defund the police. The optics of a perceived "bad shoot" weighs more on these newer officers than it should, especially when it effects decision making during a gunfight.

I was told one of the officers (the one shot in the foot) had / assessed for a shot but chose not to because there were people in the immediate backstop.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post

I “Liked” this, due to being in sad agreement, not because I like the reality of the statements.

On the one hand, I am grateful that I retired from HPD, in 2018, oblivious of what was about to happen, in 2019/2020. On the other hand, now that that I have recovered from the chronic fatigue, and rehabilitated my left shoulder and knees, a part of me wants to step back into that crazy ring/cage/thunderdome, because I see the greater Houston area community as being under siege. (We live in a smaller, independent city, wholly surrounded by the sprawling amoeba of Houston.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List