Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting a Pistol on a Rifle Range

I shoot pistols at 50 & 100 frequently. 100 because it is fun. On the rare occasion when you bust a clay the rifle guy put on the berm on your first shot you holster saying "that's it for today, I'm on".

I shoot irons. The technique is high front sight. In order to hit at 100 you can't "hold over" blocking the view of your target with your sights. Your target needs to sit on your front sight post but your front sight is high in the notch. How high you have to discover for your caliber, bullet weight & ammunition.

Warming up on a NRA B8 repair center prior to shooting a B8 at 25 is the way to go. When you bring the B8 in to 25 you feel like you are cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I shoot pistols at 50 & 100 frequently. 100 because it is fun. On the rare occasion when you bust a clay the rifle guy put on the berm on your first shot you holster saying "that's it for today, I'm on".
    On my last full day of work, my best friend took me out to the ISP range and rang me through my very last qualification, so I'd have a year to figure out this LEOSA qualification thing. For grins, I decided to shoot my P2000 that hadn't been out of the safe in months and months and months.

After the qual, we set up steel and just had fun banging el Prez, etc. Towards the end of the day, we went back to the 80ish yard line with AR9s, and, on a lark, I just pulled my P2000, held half the front sight proud of the notch, CoM on the steel, and let fly - double action! DING! I decocked, holstered, smiled, and walked away.

The search would probably turn it up, but in years past I spent a fair amount of time shooting 100 yard groups with a Gen 3 Glock 17 and iron sights. I noted that the first shot was often a flyer relative to the rest of the group. Lawman ammo worked well.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    For the last few years when people bitched about my tuned 1911, or recently, my RMR'd Glock, being a crutch I would start ringing steel at 100+ yards. Most didn't have the gonads to try. Sometimes, with rookies or whining pussies (redundant?), I would take their gun and do the same.

When I was 16 my uncle was shooting a 4516 at 100 yards. He was a LT on a federal SWAT team with hostage rescue respnsibilities. His patch at the time had five stars for HRT type missions. They exclusively ran DA/SA autos. His advice was "neck hold" for COM hits. It has worked for me with 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP. .357Sig was the outlier at that range.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 01-23-2022 at 10:12 AM.

I got out of the precision rifle game in 2008. I thought about spending thousands of dollars to get back into it. The money was part of the decision not to get back into it, but the biggest factor is that even though I live a mile from a national forest, due to the terrain and thick timber to stretch out much past 100 yards, I would have to drive an hour each way to a formal range.

Instead I realized I could scratch the same itch by driving to any one of several spots 10 minutes into the national forest, with a coffee can full of reloads, a steel target at 50 to 100 yards, and a pistol.

Shooting an iron sighted Glock 19 at those ranges is fun and educational. Like GJM I have found the first round is a flyer.

If you really want to have fun, try it with a 4” to 6” .357 or .44 Magnum revolver.

I have had more fun with my GP100 than any other firearm I have owned. I have shooting buddies who think anything that isn’t a Glock or an Ar15 isn’t worth thinking about and have had a couple conversations like this:

“What are you doing?”
    “I’m gonna shoot that gong out at 100 yards.”
    “Nuh uh”
    “Bet you a beer”
    “Ok”
    Bang clang
    “Since it is winter, I would prefer a porter or stout.”
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I believe my eyes/vision would be the primary limiting factor in such an aiming environment.

Typical outdoor, public access, square range facility that everyone uses for "sight in day." Pistols in one bay, rifles in another. Bunch of dudes shooting little, fussing much, gabbing more. Kiddo 1 sets up with his rifle at 50 and 100, includes B/C steel. He shoots while I watch. Bored, I fire some pistol rounds to the steels, clang, clang, clang... Eventual group cease fire to do stuff with targets, old duffer scoots down to me and it goes a little something like this...

"This is the rifle range, the pistol range is over there."
    Okay, is that a rule or something?
    "That's the pistol range over there."
    Okay, are you a rangemaster or club official?
    "You need to shoot pistols on the pistol range."
    Why?
    "Safety. We can't have pistol rounds going everywhere or hitting other people's targets."
    I put every round on the steel.
    "This the rifle range." (points at his bench in garand)
    How does my shooting affect you?
    "You have a pistol."
    Those guys have pistols too (pointing to a couple of dudes down the line with AR pistols).
    "Those are rifles."
    No, those are pistols. And the guy at the end is shooting a 9mm PCC, like my 9mm.
    (confused) "The pistol range is over there. I'm going to call <name - club official> and report you."
    Tell him I said hi.
    "Pistols don't belong on the rifle range. You shoot pistols at those distances."
    I shoot pistols at these distances.
    (shakes head, ambles away in Biden)
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    I believe my eyes/vision would be the primary limiting factor in such an aiming environment.
    Yeah, I can't play baseball anymore either. I mean I could, but what exactly would I be trying to accomplish?

We have a 50 yd berm at my rifle range that gets a lot of use. A few pistol shooters use it including me. I can hit a plate at 220 yds with a 30 Carbine but that's a rifle with different sights. The plates look kind of blurry.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-23-2022 at 05:00 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The search would probably turn it up, but in years past I spent a fair amount of time shooting 100 yard groups with a Gen 3 Glock 17 and iron sights. I noted that the first shot was often a flyer relative to the rest of the group. Lawman ammo worked well.
    Have you tried other striker-fired pistols at the 100 yard targets? My Kahrs did the same thing and I seem to recall it had something to do with the striker system. Even though I shoot hammered guns now, I find that most of my shots are flyers. Probably coriolis effect. 😁

There is a 12x12" steel target at our 100 yard range that I like to engage for fun.

Years ago my former wife had a 9mm 1911 that had a Kart barrel, fitted by John Harrison. I could regularly hit a 70 yard 5" steel circle using a handload with 124 grain Precision Delta HPs. Accurate ammo really helps
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List