Thread: 95gr VMAX for 6.5 PRC?

95gr VMAX for 6.5 PRC?

Ok, just poking my head into this room (sub forum) that I never visit because I don't know jack about reloading.
    I'm just wondering if anyone here has any load data, or if it's even possible to load a 95gr VMAX into the 6.5 PRC.
    Just wanting to get a little more use out of it.
    I can't find any commercial loads for this, but since 6.5 PRC is so scarce, maybe they just haven't tried it yet due to the ammo crunch.

I like the 6.5 PRC as a deer and prong horn cartridge, it's kind of a grown-up, adult version of the 6.5 ManBun that @Lost River like to use.

Looking for a lighter bullet for Coyotes, a 140gr is just hell on them.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

If you find data on that bullet the velocity that is going to be screaming. Like 3600fps. Hodgdon's has data on some 85 and 100gr bullets that should give you something to start with.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    If you find data on that bullet the velocity that is going to be screaming. Like 3600fps. Hodgdon's has data on some 85 and 100gr bullets that should give you something to start with.
    If you have or can get a 95 gr bullet in 6.5, you should be able to apply it to this use in the 6.5 PRC cartridge case. The cartridge case is just a powder bottle. It doesn’t *have* to be a screamer.

In many commercial loads developed by wildcatters, folks are usually looking for the max performance possible (meaning either velocity or accuracy) from a given cartridge, but that doesn’t mean a hand loader has to follow that philosophy for every load they make for a given cartridge. There are a lot of useful loads that aren’t max effort, leading edge of the possible pressure curve from a given cartridge and gun. You may have to dig for it, but you should be able to run the 6.5 PRC with some accuracy at reasonable velocities that won’t blow up a coyote, whether with a 140 gr or an 85-95 gr bullet.

You rang?

The thing is with a VMAX type bullet is that they are designed for maximum expansion. You stated that the 140 grain projectile is just hell on them so I am taking it that you want to save the hides, and since this is prime pelt season that makes sense.

A VMAX in a PRC at the velocities it is likely to produce is unlikely to stay inside the animal. I would look to a bullet with a very heavy jacket/known for staying together such as a 139 grain Lapua Scenar. That, or if you like them one of the Barnes solid bullets. That way you can get pass-throughs and just a couple of holes to sew.

A 95 gr vmax in a 6.5 PRC is a great way to see a puff of "gray smoke" between you and the target without hitting the target.... Light for caliber bullet, Fast twist barrel, thin jacket construction (from a company who has had previous trouble not making match bullets dissappear on the way to the target), and a magnum size capacity- what could go wrong?
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

^^^This
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Not to say you can't make a magnum bolt face varmint rifle just that it probably won't be successful all the time in a factory 1-8 twist barrel especially after it has some erosion and heat damage roughing up the bore a little.

Richard Franklin popularized 300 WSM / 125 gr. Fb/ 4000 fps as a long range woodchuck/Prarie dog exploder but he had a couple things going for his recipe:
    1. Super strong Bat actions to hold the pressures that were over SAAMI 65ksi
    2. Way more important he had slow (think 30 br slower than 14 twist
    3. 30" barrels premium hand lapped barrels
    4. Norma Cases, domestic cases didn't have enough capacity.

If I wanted to make a varmint rifle in 6.5 prc that would similarly transform varmints into small pieces flying through the air i would do a similar recipe to above. If I was pelt hunting, I would use the lapua 144 gr fmj in any accurate 6.5 and get on to calling critters in....

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    A 95 gr vmax in a 6.5 PRC is a great way to see a puff of "gray smoke" between you and the target without hitting the target.... Light for caliber bullet, Fast twist barrel, thin jacket construction (from a company who has had previous trouble not making match bullets dissappear on the way to the target), and a magnum size capacity- what could go wrong?
    A larger version of .220 Swift with all the same problems. The answer is as @Lost River posted, to go the other direction in 6.5.. Or the OP could adopt my thinking, which is that rifles are like golf clubs, and you need a bag full of them for various shots. In this case, something smaller than 6.5 with light, fragile bullets. Tax refunds are coming, ammo is slightly more available, head on down to the gun shop for some instant gratification.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The answer is as @Lost River posted, to go the other direction in 6.5..
    I have never built a 6.5 PRC but I have built 6.5-06AI's which have virtually the same case capacity (both oar 68ish of H20) and 6.5-06's which have a little less and have never had a complaint with the performance on either game or targets and they have brass that is easily made from 25-06 or 270 while giving a better bullet selection than either .257 or .277. That being said my personal sweet spot in 6.5 (in a LA) is 6.5x55 (or 6.5x55 BJAI if you like buying custom dies), in a modern action, it offers more than 6.5 creed or .260 performance, has great lapua and norma brass, and great factory match ammo from lapua. Barrel life can be as good as 6.5 creed/.260 or as poor as a 6.5-284 depending on how you treat it....

User Tag List