Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 rounds with the Staccato P DPO

I dont think those here are all that susceptible to hype. I see more evaluation and interest based on feedback from trusted sources. But your time-line surely suggests opinion based on high strung game guns....

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I’m not implying that anyone carrying a 1911 is stupid, but all the hype around Staccato definitely is.

Maybe it’s just people who haven’t been exposed to 19/2011s for over 20 years, but some of us have seen this before. It’s not the first time.

Thanks for the feedback JS. I like these new Staccato guns. I shot a few of the different models and did not come away enamored.

Strangely I prefer my 92s over the staccatos for a few reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I see a bunch of them and my first question is whether reliability refers to just the pistol, or the pistol and the magazine.

I am curious as to exactly what those LE agencies saw that caused them to adopt the Staccato. I always assumed it was "wanted a 2011, and got someone else to pay for it." I have a P, worked over by Ed Cameron. I haven't shot it enough yet, but every time I do, I come away wondering what is so special about the Staccato compared to a Glock/Walther/M&P/320 to justify 4 times the price and all the magazine hassles.
    It really is interesting to see the push some companies make to social media,(staccato and walther). They both seemed to hire a bunch of brand ambassadors to exclaim the virtues these guns have. I am wondering if this has something to do with it.
    Last edited by EVP; 01-23-2022 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Phrasing and spelling

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I agree, for me I shot a few staccato models and did not come away enamored. I prefer my 92. I know JS has a few so it would be interesting to hear his take.
    I enjoy shooting the Beretta 92; as you noted I've owned a few. Some of my best shooting scores (e.g. FAST) remain with my 92s. In particular my Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical tuned by Ernest is one of my favorite and most dependable firearms. But none of mine are optics models, and in recent years I've fully transitioned to dot guns, so I haven't shot the 92 as much recently, and I haven't (yet) tried a Langdon RDO. So it is hard to make a direct comparison.

Considering this discussion on Staccato/2011 reliability, regardless of pistol design, I've always said to vet your gun and ammunition. For example, it is generally accepted around here that the Beretta 92 is one of the most mature and reliable designs out there, and my experience largely mirrors that. But I also had one recent manufacture 92 that I could not get to run reliably; the gun was hexed and had numerous FTE, decocker, and light strike problems. It was far less reliable over the first 2000 rounds than my experience with the Staccato - or any of my other pistols for that matter. It went back to the mothership and eventually the entire upper was replaced. There are long threads on this forum about tuning the 92 trigger and using the 12# hammer spring (paired with Federal primers); this combination has never proven reliable for me regardless of the 92 model (including ones worked by LTT). But this combination has worked for others here.

So again, vet your gun with your ammunition. Pistols like the Staccato, 1911, and based on my experience a highly tuned 92, are enthusiasts guns. They'll need more attention to maintenance to keep running properly, and its up to the user whether the juice is worth the squeeze. I'm certainly not replacing my Glocks, but I'm pleased with the initial performance from the Staccato P.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Thanks for the additional feedback and I totally agree on your last paragraph about these guns being enthusiast guns that need a little more care then the popular polymer service guns

In the end, we live is good times that we have these quality options available.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    But your time-line surely suggests opinion based on high strung game guns....
    Yeah.

Outside of better/pretuned magazines and marketing, what’s the difference between a Staccato and a Limited 2011?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I enjoy shooting the Beretta 92; as you noted I've owned a few. Some of my best shooting scores (e.g. FAST) remain with my 92s. In particular my Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical tuned by Ernest is one of my favorite and most dependable firearms. But none of mine are optics models, and in recent years I've fully transitioned to dot guns, so I haven't shot the 92 as much recently, and I haven't (yet) tried a Langdon RDO. So it is hard to make a direct comparison.

Considering this discussion on Staccato/2011 reliability, regardless of pistol design, I've always said to vet your gun and ammunition. For example, it is generally accepted around here that the Beretta 92 is one of the most mature and reliable designs out there, and my experience largely mirrors that. But I also had one recent manufacture 92 that I could not get to run reliably; the gun was hexed and had numerous FTE, decocker, and light strike problems. It was far less reliable over the first 2000 rounds than my experience with the Staccato - or any of my other pistols for that matter. It went back to the mothership and eventually the entire upper was replaced. There are long threads on this forum about tuning the 92 trigger and using the 12# hammer spring (paired with Federal primers); this combination has never proven reliable for me regardless of the 92 model (including ones worked by LTT). But this combination has worked for others here.

So again, vet your gun with your ammunition. Pistols like the Staccato, 1911, and based on my experience a highly tuned 92, are enthusiasts guns. They'll need more attention to maintenance to keep running properly, and its up to the user whether the juice is worth the squeeze. I'm certainly not replacing my Glocks, but I'm pleased with the initial performance from the Staccato P.

Yes.

My Satacatto P is generally reliable and has been 100% with 124 +P Gold dots But for some reason it does not function well with our 115 grain purple Winchester flatpoint training ammo. Runs fine with everything else I’ve tried, even steel case. I’m running all GEN two magazines.

I’m also a big Beretta 92 fan, have several and just acquired an LTT RDO. As mentioned nothing is perfect. I’ve had or encountered three problematic Beretta 92s in the last few years. When I went to buy my Wilson brig tac, I wound up walking out of the store with the display model because the one They got me from the back had a defective mag catch. Tried several different Beretta mags and none would lock in. I bought one of the commercial Beretta LTT’s the gun was off for windage and the front site which is heavily staked in place was visibly off-center. Those are both Tennessee built guns, a couple years ago I bought an Italian made Beretta 92 A1 for my son as a Christmas present and the gun had something funky going on with the frame rail to slide fit causing malfunctions. In the latter two instances the dealer swapped the guns out And there were no issues with the replacements.

Going back to the Stacatto, it’s not a Glock and I don’t expect it to be. Despite the polymer Greg frame the slide is sitting on a metal chassis so practical purposes it is a “all metal” gun. Our prior duty guns, SIG 229R’s in 40 would malfunction
    If not lubed regularly. I wouldn’t expect anything different from any other “all metal” gun.

Site Supporter
    Yeah.

Outside of better/pretuned magazines and marketing, what’s the difference between a Staccato and a Limited 2011?
    If you mean between Stacatto and STI produced guns, the first thing is choices in tolerances and the big one is consistently. As with the magazines the old STI had problems with consistency. They were like the proverbial “box of chocolates.”

Ive handled, owned, shot, a ton of STI game guns, especilly when i was shooting IPSC. But I think there was a noticeable shift in thinking and I think that came with the Costa pistols. I bought one. It was a very different animal. So much so I called STI and asked if it was made on a different line or something. They were all consistently well built. As in just as well as any of the Wilsons or Browns in the safe. The answer was no, not a different line or facility and that they had revamped their entire process. It wasnt much longer that the switch to Stacatto occurred. IMO thier shift in focus and thinking shows. Marketing is marketing so thats "whatever" for me. But I think its successful for 2 reasons. A) it seems most really wants a 1911/2011 or want their pistol of choice to behave like one, and they seemed to have possibly pulled it off. My Costa and my Stacatto run exceptionally well.

Yeah.

I’m not implying that anyone carrying a 1911 is stupid, but all the hype around Staccato definitely is.

Maybe it’s just people who haven’t been exposed to 19/2011s for over 20 years, but some of us have seen this before. It’s not the first time.
    To your point, I took a mid size 2011 in .45 acp to NTI in the late 90's.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I've owned 2-3 hundred handguns if you count the $25 WW 2 surplus pistols. Always I had connections allowing me to buy others at wholesale or close to it. I have bought many lemons, but in every case the company tried to make it right. If I had the coin in my old age, I would own one of these Georgetown, Texas semi custom pistols because I'm confident that if mine did not run properly, the guys who produced it would resolve the issue. They have that reputation. A 1911 is a 1911. As a group they are like old Harley's and this redneck comment includes $2000 1911's. My credentials: I've shot more dirt clods, stumps, rocks, and tin cans than most people. Jeff Cooper when responding to the question which gun will last longer in the long run, he replied that in the long run we'll all be dead.

User Tag List