Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 rounds with the Staccato P DPO

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Must be some defect in me, but I shoot my Glock 19 much better. Will continue to mess with it.
    Interesting note, I've recently sold my P DPO and my C2. I gave them plenty of time and was competing with an Atlas at the same time. I've switched back to Glocks.

I've got Practiscore data from running USPSA classifiers back to back with the 2011s and Glocks (over a 3 month period), and I'm just plain faster and more accurate with the Glocks.

Just picked up the Griffin Micro Carry Comp to try on my threaded barrel P. They state a 20% recoil reduction from it… We will see? Coolest thing about it is that it doesn’t need indexing, Rocksett or shims. If it sucks as a compensator it’s a neat looking thread protector that is fairly inexpensive. @GJM is that’s 2020 P? If so it should have a lighter recoil spring included if purchased new.
    Name:  59CAC49F-F70F-40C7-BAE2-983CB9EAF4B7.jpg
Views: 3957
Size:  94.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JakeB View Post
    Interesting note, I've recently sold my P DPO and my C2. I gave them plenty of time and was competing with an Atlas at the same time. I've switched back to Glocks.

I've got Practiscore data from running USPSA classifiers back to back with the 2011s and Glocks (over a 3 month period), and I'm just plain faster and more accurate with the Glocks.
    It’s the circle of life. Everyone usually rides a CZ for a season or on their way back to Glock from 2011.

Crossed the 7,000 round mark with the Staccato P DPO today. Since my last update, I have experienced a second malfunction with the pistol - a Failure to Return to Battery with Geco 115 grain FMJ. Even before the malfunction, I had noted that this ammunition, which had a JAG head stamp on the casing, was dirty and snappy, and was quite different from my previous positive experiences with Geco ammunition. This ammunition was purchased through AmmoShop, and was subsequently recalled by the manufacturer; as such I have a hard time holding it against the pistol, but note it here for the record.

Otherwise the pistol has proven reliable across a wide range of practice ammunition, to include AE 115/124/147 grain, Syntech 150 grain, and Blazer Brass 115 grain. Wiping the pistol down and reapplying some Lucas gun oil ever few hundred rounds is all it seems to need to keep running.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

8625 rounds now through the gun. During today's range trip, I observed the pistol was shooting progressively higher. Checked zero at 25 yards and discovered I was shooting 6"+ high (off the paper). Inspected the red dot plate at home and could see that it had begun to raise (light was visible between the slide and the plate and I could push the plate down). I removed the optic and discovered one of the screws holding the adapter plate to the slide had sheared off. Need to order some more screws from Dawson...

Name:  IMG_1125.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  96.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JakeB View Post

Any thoughts as to why?
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

10,000 Rounds

Perhaps it is time to update the title of the thread; this morning the Staccato P crossed 10,000 rounds. It has remained quite reliable, with only the two prior documented stoppages in the books, so the MRBS is better than 5000. Even then, I think it is debatable whether either malfunction should be held against the pistol. The first malfunction was shooter induced within the first 500 rounds, and after a minor adjustment in grip, has never repeated. The second malfunction was with suspect ammunition that was subsequently recalled by the manufacturer.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  96.8 KB

In any case, this Staccato P isn't just a reliable 2011. It's one of the most reliable pistols I've ever owned.

Interestingly, neither malfunction was magazine related. I think Staccato has a winning formula with the GEN3 magazine, and it should be the yardstick by which the increasing number of 2011 magazine manufacturers are measured. Yes, the magazines are expensive, but they work. I may try the Checkmate magazines, considering they are reputedly the OEM for Staccato, performance should be identical but perhaps at a slightly lower price point.

Name:  IMG_0355.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  100.9 KB

Throughout this period I've continued my regular maintenance pattern - the gun gets wiped down and lubed with Lucas Gun Oil every 2-3 range trips - usually somewhere between 350-500 rounds. I haven't replaced any springs to this point, but a new recoil spring will go into the pistol the next time I break it down.

Still, I'm not entirely satisfied with Staccato's optics mount. Staccato has had a surprising number of rolling changes to the mounting system and plates, suggesting that they are not completely satisfied either. I was surprised when a screw holding the RMR plate to the slide sheared, causing the optic to loosen. I consider myself fortunate that I was able to remove the remaining screw post. Now Staccato is recommending red loctite for optics mounting purposes, and I'm reluctant to go down this path. I'm concerned that had I used red loctite and the screw sheared in this manner, I would be stuck with a screw post buried in the slide held with red loctite.

I briefly flirted with the Deltapoint Pro to eliminate the interface plate. I really wanted to like the DPP - the glass was clearer and larger than the RMR, the dot was precise, and Staccato had found a way to integrate their back-up rear sight into the optic mount to provide a third point to secure the optic into the slide. But the short battery life made me lose confidence in the DPP and I decided to return to the RMR. I'll be among the first in line if Leupold ever offers a DPP that can compete with Aimpoint or Trijicon for battery life. I do want to acknowledge that the pistol had over 8,000 documented rounds before the screw failed.

I'm definitely a fan of Staccato and the 2011 design. There's room in the safe for another Staccato - considering how much I enjoy my 'Roland Special' Glock, I find myself drawn to the XC and trying a compensated 2011. On the other hand, the Staccato P isn't a small pistol, and while it conceals well in the Tenicor Malus Sol, there are times when I would have liked something smaller and lighter. So a C2 may well be in my future (though Staccato reportedly has a new compact model releasing next week)...

E6000 for plates to take stress off screws.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Perhaps it is time to update the title of the thread; this morning the Staccato P crossed 10,000 rounds.
    Posts like this are not helping tamp down my recurring desire for a Staccato.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Posts like this are not helping tamp down my recurring desire for a Staccato.
    And I'm one of those nerds just wishing Dan Wesson would release the DWX so I can read how it stacks up.

User Tag List