Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 rounds with the Staccato P DPO

I got a P DPO with a DLC threaded barrel this week and took it for it's initial range trip yesterday. 50rds of winchester 147gr bonded ranger T, 50 of aguila 124gr and 150 of blazer 147gr. Had one ftf on first 5 of the blazer, but I'm not sure if it was me. I was shooting strong hand only and the ammo felt like stepping from 9mm to 40 after the aguila, WAY more snap to it. More than even my carry ammo. Sights were off to the left, I couldn't get them to budge at the range so just dealt with it and enjoyed the easiest shooting pistol I've touched since I got to run a mag through an SVI 2011 limited gun with a sight tracker.

I have not been shooting much at all lately, like maybe 2 range trips with a handgun in the past 2 years, and this gun makes me feel like I know how to shoot again. I was actually picking the front sight up coming down again in recoil and was able to trigger slap in the a zone with ease. I ran a mage through my 365XL with a holosun that I use as a carry gun, and was shocked how easily I tracked the dot through recoil after having to use irons on the 2011.

Can't wait for the RMR and plate I ordered to show up. I wasn't planning on even attempting to CC this, but winter in Denver allows for a lot of cover garments....

Hit 810 rounds through my P DPO yesterday. I have an RMR (kinda wish I'd gone SRO) and X300UB on it now. I think I've had 4 total fail to feeds on the last round with one 17 rd mag, it's been sent back to staccato with a new mag (15rd, thanks Colorado) coming back to me on their dime. 0 malfunctions with the other mags with a mix of 147gr Ranger T, 124gr aguila, 147 gr flat point blazer, and a mix of some 115gr fmj stuff others have shot through it.

Shooting it is a breeze, 15yd slowfire will yield groups in the 2.5-3" range when shooting in a normal stance. 10 yds and in is an exercise in trying to get every round through the same hole.

I've started carrying this without the light in a JMCK George with a reload in a mastermind tactics elastic pouch, it is surprisingly comfortable and conceals well on my 5'11" 160lb frame when wearing a flannel. I can still get away with it with the magwell left on. An undershirt tucked into my jeans is mandatory with the tac grip texture, it'll irritate bare skin after a few hours.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    It’s the circle of life. Everyone usually rides a CZ for a season or on their way back to Glock from 2011.
    I have never even imagined using my G34 over any of my CZ. That’d be like going from a Mercedes to a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgivro View Post
    I have never even imagined using my G34 over any of my CZ. That’d be like going from a Mercedes to a Honda.
    Yup. And eventually you get tired of expensive dealer costs. And bam. You’re rocking a Civic.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Perhaps it is time to update the title of the thread; this morning the Staccato P crossed 10,000 rounds. It has remained quite reliable, with only the two prior documented stoppages in the books, so the MRBS is better than 5000. Even then, I think it is debatable whether either malfunction should be held against the pistol. The first malfunction was shooter induced within the first 500 rounds, and after a minor adjustment in grip, has never repeated. The second malfunction was with suspect ammunition that was subsequently recalled by the manufacturer.

Attachment 96034

In any case, this Staccato P isn't just a reliable 2011. It's one of the most reliable pistols I've ever owned.

Interestingly, neither malfunction was magazine related. I think Staccato has a winning formula with the GEN3 magazine, and it should be the yardstick by which the increasing number of 2011 magazine manufacturers are measured. Yes, the magazines are expensive, but they work. I may try the Checkmate magazines, considering they are reputedly the OEM for Staccato, performance should be identical but perhaps at a slightly lower price point.

Attachment 96035

Throughout this period I've continued my regular maintenance pattern - the gun gets wiped down and lubed with Lucas Gun Oil every 2-3 range trips - usually somewhere between 350-500 rounds. I haven't replaced any springs to this point, but a new recoil spring will go into the pistol the next time I break it down.

Still, I'm not entirely satisfied with Staccato's optics mount. Staccato has had a surprising number of rolling changes to the mounting system and plates, suggesting that they are not completely satisfied either. I was surprised when a screw holding the RMR plate to the slide sheared, causing the optic to loosen. I consider myself fortunate that I was able to remove the remaining screw post. Now Staccato is recommending red loctite for optics mounting purposes, and I'm reluctant to go down this path. I'm concerned that had I used red loctite and the screw sheared in this manner, I would be stuck with a screw post buried in the slide held with red loctite.

I briefly flirted with the Deltapoint Pro to eliminate the interface plate. I really wanted to like the DPP - the glass was clearer and larger than the RMR, the dot was precise, and Staccato had found a way to integrate their back-up rear sight into the optic mount to provide a third point to secure the optic into the slide. But the short battery life made me lose confidence in the DPP and I decided to return to the RMR. I'll be among the first in line if Leupold ever offers a DPP that can compete with Aimpoint or Trijicon for battery life. I do want to acknowledge that the pistol had over 8,000 documented rounds before the screw failed.

I'm definitely a fan of Staccato and the 2011 design. There's room in the safe for another Staccato - considering how much I enjoy my 'Roland Special' Glock, I find myself drawn to the XC and trying a compensated 2011. On the other hand, the Staccato P isn't a small pistol, and while it conceals well in the Tenicor Malus Sol, there are times when I would have liked something smaller and lighter. So a C2 may well be in my future (though Staccato reportedly has a new compact model releasing next week)...
    Have you used any mags other than Staccato mags in it?

I have been nothing but impressed with my P Duo. I have thousands and thousands of rounds through mine, have been carrying everyday as my primary duty gun (open carry duty holster) and have shot every kind of ammo imaginable though it with no issues (to include 90-95gr frangible in the shoothouse). I have not babied it only oiling it every so often and it just keeps chugging along. The thing is also extremely accurate and so finely machined that I recently swapped the RMR for an ACRO and the sights were almost exactly on with the new sight/mount.

I have also visited the factory on two occasions. The guys that work their are all "gun" guys and although most of them perform one manufacturing task, all of them know their way around the entire 1911 platform. They were able to answer every obscure question I had reguarding the 1911 platform (I have run and handbuilt many 1911s over the last 30 years).

We have 4 or 5 Stacattos at our agency now that have been employed in a duty capacity and all have been flawless. Do I miss my Glocks/HKs? Sure, a little, but when it comes to how accurate and easy it is to shoot the 1911 design of the Stacatto its a no brainer (well that and I like manual safeties on people managing guns).

I like my P so much that I just took delivery of a C2 Duo...I hope that it will not disspoint....

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Have you used any mags other than Staccato mags in it?
    No, I have only used Staccato OEM magazines (both 17 and 20 rounders). I've been thinking about trying the Checkmate magazines, as they should be the same exact thing. But I'm in no rush to do so, having plenty of proven Staccato magazines, and honestly the $5 price difference isn't any motivation to experiment.

I'm more curious to see if the new CS magazine design spreads to the other Staccato platforms, and I've taken a pause on buying a new Staccato to see what the future holds. I understand the new design eliminates the spacer used in 9mm 2011 magazines, allowing a smaller overall footprint, which permits a reduced grip module size. Of course, that's at the cost of legacy magazine compatibility, but that's the cost of progress. I'm somewhat surprised to see that the CS retained the grip safety though, considering Atlas and Wilson Combat (with their EDC X9) eliminated it.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Since I am shooting a 2011 Open gun in competition, I am trying hard to warm up to my Staccato P. Shooting it earlier today, I started running into stoppages like this, shooting 124 Lawman. Seems more a SRO problem than a Staccato problem. Should I switch to a Holosun?

Name:  6E9E4E38-0715-4454-BB8D-35A3326D1292.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  31.6 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Since I am shooting a 2011 Open gun in competition, I am trying hard to warm up to my Staccato P. Shooting it earlier today, I started running into stoppages like this, shooting 124 Lawman. Seems more a SRO problem than a Staccato problem. Should I switch to a Holosun?

Its one of those things. A lot of people with SRO's on them that claim it isn't a problem, but quite a few have this exact issue. Personally though I like SRO's, I won't put one on my Staccato or any other gun where it would hang over into the ejection area.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Please post more like this. It’ll help save me money.

User Tag List