Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 9mm Can - Rugged Obsidian 9mm?

First 9mm Can - Rugged Obsidian 9mm?

First can in the cart at Silencer Shop. I’ve been going back and forth between the Wolfman 9 or the Obsidian 9. I like the thinner profile of the Obsidian, the price tag, the modularity, and the warranty. But I hear the Wolfman is quieter. It will mostly be on my scorpion and my Glocks. I like quite but how much would I sacrifice to get the thinner profile and is the trade off worth it for my use (HD & Range)?

Quote Originally Posted by 23JAZ View Post
    First can in the cart at Silencer Shop. I’ve been going back and forth between the Wolfman 9 or the Obsidian 9. I like the thinner profile of the Obsidian, the price tag, the modularity, and the warranty. But I hear the Wolfman is quieter. It will mostly be on my scorpion and my Glocks. I like quite but how much would I sacrifice to get the thinner profile and is the trade off worth it for my use (HD & Range)?
    Beyond the "that's so cool" giggle factor, I just don't understand the obsession with decibels that many people have. I care about it getting into a "hearing safe" range on the equipment I'm likely to use, in the environment I'm likely to use it. Size, weight, POI shift, muzzle device interface and other characteristics are far more important to me. For whatever that's worth.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Beyond the "that's so cool" giggle factor, I just don't understand the obsession with decibels that many people have. I care about it getting into a "hearing safe" range on the equipment I'm likely to use, in the environment I'm likely to use it. Size, weight, POI shift, muzzle device interface and other characteristics are far more important to me. For whatever that's worth.
    Very true statements!

Site Supporter
    If you are using this on a brace pistol or 9 mm carbine one thing to consider is that in my experience the price of a quieter can is higher back pressure which means more potential for gas to the face.

Nothing wrong with either can but I will say I’ve had a rugged obsidian 45 in NFA jail since April of last year.

Can't answer your specific questions regarding the models listed.

All of my pistol cans, save one, are older discontinued models.

You should buy what makes you happy, and i don't want to sound like a downer, but there's a reason my pistol cans are older models; i have no desire for another pistol can.

I have purchased 3 pistol cans in my lifetime. Right now one is on a 300BO AR (it's rated for that), another is on a 9mm Ruger PCC (another rifle) and the 3rd switches between an MPX and a B&T APC (almost rifles).

I just recently watched the Vortex Nation Podcast on suppressors. Their expert tells a story that rings true for me and many others. A pistol can was his/mine/most of us's first purchase, but is used the least. Once you get over the "well that's neat" phase, they really aren't used very much at all.

Now .22LR pistol cans are a completely different story! Super fun to use.

I've gotten to the point where I only want to take rifles to the range that i can put a can on-that's also quite useful.

But i can't imagine wanting to put a can back on a B92, SIG22X, etc, etc.

But again, if that's what you want to do by all means do it.

Best of luck
    cc

Edit

And now that I reread your post. I see you are planning on using it on a Scorpion, so you are ahead of the game!
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 01-22-2022 at 03:54 PM.

To be fair, while I definitely agree with rifle cans, I think those issues are much less of a factor with pistol cans, simply because pistol cans are much more of a novelty and much less distinct from each other. All pistol cans are going to exhibit pretty big POI shift when mounted on a handgun, AFAIK. Muzzle devices, for a pistol caliber, you're basically stuck with 3 lug or else direct thread, depending on the application. Weights seem pretty close for all of the handgun oriented pistol cans, with the weightier options being oriented toward PCCs/SMGs.

As for Obsidian vs. Wolfman, I would say it depends on your primary use; if it's going to be most mostly on a PCC, the Wolfman, but if it's primarily on a pistol, the Obsidian. Suppressed handguns are fun, but not very practical, IMO; suppressed PCCs are where it's at.

Gas-to-face probably isn't a big deal with a CZ Scorpion EVO, at least shooting right handed.

That’s the reason I bought a pro grade sound meter.

It’s amazing how much louder things are indoors, by walls and ammo dependent…

In general because there is no real hearing safe number and it’s a continuum of damage, I didn’t want to just take some Internet info regarding my specific equipment and scenarios.

Also important to note that industry standard is 1 meter away from muzzle and your own arm length and ear position may change the distance and sound level significantly.

I bought a Rugged Obsidian 9 last year as my first suppressor and greatly enjoy it. Right now I switch it back and forth between a G19, PTR9C and Uzi Pro. The modularity is a fun feature to play with.

One minor end-cap strike while it was mounted to the tri-lug on my PTR9C (don’t brace the can off a barricade when using tri-lug!). Rugged’s CS was absolutely top notch with sending me a replacement end-cap and an info sheet with very useful noob suppressor advice.

It’s an extra expense, but I’d recommend buying a 9mm alignment rod too.

Ended up ordering the Obsidian 9. I agree that it’s mostly novelty but for HD (especially for the wife), I think the can will shine.

Ended up ordering the Obsidian 9. I agree that it’s mostly novelty but for HD (especially for the wife), I think the can will shine.
    Except when it spits blowback in her face and the porpoising of having a spring loaded tilting weight on the nose throws her off…

I thought the same thing, but when I actually tried to shoot a suppressed handgun fast it was pretty sucky.

Fixed barrel suppressed things are where it’s at.

Tilting barrels and Nielsen devices are… interesting.

User Tag List