Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended Thumb Safety S&W Shield 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'd be interested, if I ever decide to get a Shield Plus.
    I bought one for this project that I really dont need. I could let it go with an extended thumb safety once this gets up and running.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

This isnt the final version currently under plan but its pretty close. Comments welcomed.

Name:  4B8A5ACA-6387-4AB1-961E-2466619CE8E3.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  25.8 KB
    Name:  48429E17-14E4-4200-B87D-E924B54EBE3B.jpg
Views: 2210
Size:  71.1 KB
    Name:  C214FCD8-8C90-4EB7-85EF-604BE905D159.jpg
Views: 2148
Size:  63.7 KB

Multi Quoted everyone who showed interest or expressed support in case you are not following the thread.

As you can see it helps keep your thumb off the slide. For reference I wear an xxl work glove.
    Name:  F3652878-1BED-4233-B4E1-72EF8FF61B5F.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  34.7 KB
    Name:  5879B281-6571-4846-A069-4BD079F77C5A.jpg
Views: 2141
Size:  27.9 KB

I like the looks of it. Seems to be a good size - just a bit bigger but not too big. I’m guessing the slighly bigger size adds leverage so as to make it easier to depress for those with stiff thumb safeties? FWIW, mine is not that stiff, but I’ve read of others who have very stiff thumb safeties.

Quote Originally Posted by equin View Post
    I like the looks of it. Seems to be a good size - just a bit bigger but not too big. I’m guessing the slighly bigger size adds leverage so as to make it easier to depress for those with stiff thumb safeties? FWIW, mine is not that stiff, but I’ve read of others who have very stiff thumb safeties.
    Im opening this up to comments so thank you. We weren't sure what people wanted exactly and Im sure not everybody wants exactly the same feature set. The changes envisioned for the next version are three points so far.
    1. Shorten the length on the shooters end to avoid impact with the hand during recoil.
    2. Reduce the width of the paddle.
    3. Provide a step on the edge for retention of the thumb.
    This is the second model, it was thought the first model provided too much opportunity for interference with the slide.
    Since its a really small part he has to machine a fixture to hold the parts. Each change requires a new fixture so comments and input are definitely appreciated and he will accommodate requests as much as possible.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Sorry I missed one of your observations. The size of the paddle was to allow the thumb to ride the safety and large enough not to miss during the draw. We think it could still accomplish both functions in a bit more compact design.
    The second design is drawn up we are waiting to see if there is any feedback that would lead to additional changes before we proceed with the next prototype.

My suggestion would be to move the paddle to the top of the safety, instead of at the bottom. This will provide a much more 1911-like feel and allow the paddle to be tucked in closer to the frame and slide will still allowing a wide paddle to be there. The current iteration places the thumb safety too low in the shooting position and is unnecessarily wide, relative to what it could be.

I appreciate the machined aspects of this. I personally would setup and machine the base separately and weld on a paddle for prototyping, so that you can adjust as needed as opposed to constantly machining a new piece.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My suggestion would be to move the paddle to the top of the safety, instead of at the bottom. This will provide a much more 1911-like feel and allow the paddle to be tucked in closer to the frame and slide will still allowing a wide paddle to be there. The current iteration places the thumb safety too low in the shooting position and is unnecessarily wide, relative to what it could be.

I appreciate the machined aspects of this. I personally would setup and machine the base separately and weld on a paddle for prototyping, so that you can adjust as needed as opposed to constantly machining a new piece.
    Thanks RR. One concern about the top was slide contact but We will take a look at that.
    What I had recalled from comments before was to move it down and forward.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Thanks RR. One concern about the top was slide contact but We will take a look at that.
    Best of luck!

And BTW - Good for you guys to tackle this problem. Even the current iteration is light years ahead of the small nub that S&W provides!

User Tag List