Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended Thumb Safety S&W Shield 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    And like that I suddenly really want a Shield Plus. Good thing I’m poor.

But seriously, props to the developers for this right here specifically. You’re already surpassing the vast majority of designers in this area, since almost no one can make a thumb safety that’s 1911-ish.
    Thanks. I learned pistols on the 1911. Prototyping then shooting helped a lot. One design proved downright painful when shot. I must not be that smart as I shot it twice to make sure.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Thanks. I learned pistols on the 1911. Prototyping then shooting helped a lot. One design proved downright painful when shot. I must not be that smart as I shot it twice to make sure.
    I was a skosh skeptical when I first installed it and did some dry fire. It felt nicely contoured and rounded, but it also felt like there might not be enough surface area under the thumb to avoid jabbing under recoil, just maybe. Live fire proved that fear to be unfounded. And then running it on the clock when my brain was occupied with just about everything other than the physical operation of the gun solidified it. This is exactly what S&W should have done from the start, had they considered the safety anything more than a checkbox for boomers. I'm glad someone has finally rectified that mistake.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I was a skosh skeptical when I first installed it and did some dry fire. It felt nicely contoured and rounded, but it also felt like there might not be enough surface area under the thumb to avoid jabbing under recoil, just maybe. Live fire proved that fear to be unfounded. And then running it on the clock when my brain was occupied with just about everything other than the physical operation of the gun solidified it. This is exactly what S&W should have done from the start, had they considered the safety anything more than a checkbox for boomers. I'm glad someone has finally rectified that mistake.
    Dont do anything yet. We did a mold prototype but werent happy with it. I just talked to my buddy, Im going to meet with him tomorrow about making the necessary changes. If you are willing you can be our mold tester for modifying existing holsters.
    We would have had it done earlier but hes been slammed with custom airgun work.
    JM Custom Kydex is on board with making holsters molded for the safety I need to get a mold to him too.
    Last edited by UNK; 04-15-2023 at 05:27 PM.

Dont do anything yet. We did a mold prototype but werent happy with it. I just talked to my buddy, Im going to meet with him tomorrow about making the necessary changes. If you are willing you can be our mold tester for modifying existing holsters.
    We would have had it done earlier but hes been slammed with custom airgun work.
    JM Custom Kydex is on board with making holsters molded for the safety I need to get a mold to him too.
    Sure, I've got a couple cheapo holsters I'd be happy to experiment on before I touch my good ones

And that's awesome about JM. Tony's one of my favorite holster makers.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Any plans for a lefty or ambi version?

Quote Originally Posted by omega9 View Post
    Any plans for a lefty or ambi version?
    I havent looked at it from that aspect but Im sure it would require welding to the stock safety and cutting the receiver. Thats not something we would do.

If S&W had made it ambi we probably would have made a few.

I havent looked at it from that aspect but Im sure it would require welding to the stock safety and cutting the receiver. Thats not something we would do.

If S&W had made it ambi we probably would have made a few.
    Dang, I thought the shield came with a stock ambi safety.

Thumb safety

Are you still offering these?

Quote Originally Posted by M&pdiamond View Post
    Are you still offering these?
    Sure am. Shoot me an email me at shieldthumbsafety@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by TangoHotel View Post
    I'm a regular over on 1911Addicts, and just happened across one of the photos from this thread while browsing Google. I've been looking for a product like this for years. Excited to see that someone actually made one. I made an account here specifically to reply to this thread, so I'm sure I'm on some kind of probationary period where I can't DM about purchasing, but as soon as that's up, I'll be looking to pick up at least one.

Any thoughts about designing something similar for the S&W CSX? I think the CSX stock safety is slightly better than the Shield, but it still isn't great. I'd love to see basically this exact product, but on the CSX.
    Sorry I missed your post somehow. I dont think there is a probationary period but you can also msg me at shieldthumbsafety@gmail.com We have not looked at the CSX. There is a thread on the CSX Im sure you first hand comments would be appreciated or you could start a new thread. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1302833

User Tag List