Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Star Industries: 6.7 lb small frame .308

I saw that, but I’d be worried about proprietary components that will disappear if (when?) the company goes TU.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Interesting and $1495 actually isn't that bad, I was kind of prepared for it to be $2500. For that price, you could probably buy enough parts to keep it running for forever.

Really have to see what it's capable of at distance. Given the proliferation of .300BO in AR15s, there isn't a real gain for .308 at close ranges. So, the gun has to shoot well at 500+ for it to have any real utility.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Given the proliferation of .300BO in AR15s, there isn't a real gain for .308 at close ranges. So, the gun has to shoot well at 500+ for it to have any real utility.
    How do you figure? .308 Win/7.62×51mm is still going to have a pretty big difference compared to .300 BLK, given the massive difference in energy, which would be useful for dealing with tougher intermediate barriers/targets, such as laminated glass, bear skulls, etc. AFAIK, 7.62×39mm and .300 BLK ain't that different, and folks have still found 7.62×51mm battle rifles to be harder hitting at close ranges compared to 7.62×39mm rifles.

I would rather have a standard AR in 6ARC or 6.5G.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    How do you figure? .308 Win/7.62×51mm is still going to have a pretty big difference compared to .300 BLK, given the massive difference in energy, which would be useful for dealing with tougher intermediate barriers/targets, such as laminated glass, bear skulls, etc. AFAIK, 7.62×39mm and .300 BLK ain't that different, and folks have still found 7.62×51mm battle rifles to be harder hitting at close ranges compared to 7.62×39mm rifles.
    Certainly, not going to dispute physics here, more case, heavier bullet, more energy = more power. Whether at 1" or 700 yards. These days monolithic bullets basically level the playing field for carbine and rifle calibers where the target is <500y (I'll give you a bit more let's say within 200y) and isn't a Grizzly. Beyond that distance I'm totally on board that there is a case to be made for a bigger cartridge.

If this rifle is intended as a military weapon then I misunderstood that - I can see benefit in a lighter, .308 for military. But I got the impression it was Average Joe and maybe his buddy Sheriff Moe. In which case, I can't see much benefit, except perhaps as a bear defense tool and the ability to shoot at longer effective ranges than most rounds an AR15 is chambered in (I say most, because 6.5G and 6ARC are pretty good long range cartridges).

I'm trying to get their website to load and see if this DS-25 is also available in 6.5CM - a 6.7 pounds 6.5CM is definitely far more interesting as a 'game gun' than a .308. And by the by if they built this thing to target the PRC game for autoloaders that is also totally legit and I completely get that too.

Edit: Mods - if @Duces Tecum cannot edit the thread title. The company is Dark Storm industries, not Dark Star. I got a little confused when I clicked the link to their website. No big deal.

Looks like a Revolution for poors with more features than a Rogue. Would be interested to see this vs the POF.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    This^^^.

.308/7.62x51 with a barrel of at least 13ish inches or more has significantly more energy than 300 BO supers (which as noted is on par with 7.62x39 and 30-30). A 13” SCAR or AR-10 > an AK or 300 BO for tearing up something like a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This^^^.

.308/7.62x51 with a barrel of at least 13ish inches or more has significantly more energy than 300 BO supers (which as noted is on par with 7.62x39 and 30-30). A 13” SCAR or AR-10 > an AK or 300 BO for tearing up something like a vehicle.
    Now I want a HK51.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'll wait for someone to explain how this is different from all the other "AR-12" 'tweener rifles that have come and mostly gone previously.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List