Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RDS Training Buzzwords

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    But you could do that with irons, too, really, as TLG himself would demo during AFHF, where as long as your front sight was within the notch, how misaligned it was generally didn't make a huge difference if you weren't trying to stack holes.
    That’s not the same thing. For a red dot we are talking about hitting the same target point if the dot is on target regardless of what portion of the window you’re using.

The analogy for an iron is that you’d have to correct your offset for the notch misalignment.

To illustrate:

These red dot utilizations would yield the same hit.
    Name:  D6620870-4FC3-4705-83D2-6B7159A2DF09.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  18.0 KB
    Name:  99733C55-3888-4AD0-BBB5-BA9177D42ABD.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  18.7 KB

To get an iron to do the same
    Name:  41A54D69-65F9-44EB-9411-FFB4D7B662B4.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  16.8 KB

That’s why dot window size matters.

I did some iron notch rangefinding and notch offset is obviously specific to rear notch / front sight width and slide length.

With a thin front blade, misalignment can be significant.

This is me shooting pairs with the front post in different places in the notch.

Name:  57A6D72A-8766-4251-9E00-15D13583816B.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  59.0 KB

I wasn’t aware of the issue some have with non-binocular vision until I taught a carbine class with Freddie Blish. Out of 19 students, we had 2 who were unable to have the strong eye look the optic with a blocked end while the weak eye sees the target (sorry for inarticulate sentence). He had encountered this some years back when he was at Aimpoint, he also found the science behind it too.

One drill I’ll run early on in a dot class is to force imperfect sight pictures on the same aiming point (the parallax drill) to help shooters accept something less than a perfectly centered dot.

My understanding is that there are no genuinely parallax-free RDS sights... It's just that most of them are close enough that the manufacturers feel justified in making this claim.
    Cowan has a video comparing parallax in the M5 vs the MRO where he discusses the phenomenon and then demonstrates it.

https://youtu.be/TUBcewtUBpQ

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Ditto, r.e. exotropia correct 65 years ago. I don't know how many folks with binocular vision are really able to fuse pistol RDS. With a close-up rifle red dot your dominant eye is somewhat immersed in the optic field of view so perhaps if the magnification/distortion isn't too bad it's easier to fuse. FWIW I've only been able to fuse the imagery on, to say the least, exotic binocular displays (e.g., F-35 HMD).
    I figured fusing the image is less of a requirement with pistol RDS than with using something like an Aimpoint T1 on a rifle, where the optic close up to your face but the window is small. I have binocular vision in most cases with typical depth perception and can even watch 3D movies normally, but when a rifle scope or RDS is brought up close to my face, I cannot fuse the image for Bindon Aiming Concept or Occluded Eye Aiming. Maybe some type of image suppression that occurs only in that circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That’s not the same thing. For a red dot we are talking about hitting the same target point if the dot is on target regardless of what portion of the window you’re using.

The analogy for an iron is that you’d have to correct your offset for the notch misalignment.
    I think you've missed my actual (much simpler) point, which is simply that "misalignment" of the sight, whether it be irons or RDS, has a much more minimal impact that most people think; that's all I was saying. The RDS being off-center will definitely not put the bullet in the exact same place, simply due to parallax issues (hence why I had put parallax-free in quotations originally), but it will put the bullet in a close enough place, since parallax is fairly small at typical pistol use distances; the same basic principle applies to irons, where some minor misalignment won't put it in the same place, but is generally going to be a "good enough" hit.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 01-22-2022 at 12:40 PM.

User Tag List