Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 908 magazine issue

S&W 908 magazine issue

I've had this pistol since 2009.

Broke my sister's Sigma 380. S&W could not repair it, nor replace it because it was out of production. So, S&W replaced it with a new 908 free of charge. We thought that was great customer service and a good deal.

We've never been able to seat a fully loaded 8 round magazine in the gun with slide forward. So, it gets carried 7+1. Eight is enough, just wondering...

Is it just us, these two mags, or all they all like that?

Gun has worked fine in every other way for 13 years.

That's not my sister, but it is a 908.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have the non-TSW and non-Lady Smith 3913. I could be wrong, but I believe the 908 is a blued version of the 3913 with a few other minor little differences, but mags are interchangeable between the two supposedly. I'm able to load all 8 rounds and have the slide pull forward when inserting the mag, at least with the one or two mags I have left. I'd suggest trying a new mag, but I realize S&W no longer makes new ones. So you'll have to pay a price if you can find some used ones or try your luck with the ProMag mags.

I’ve had a 3913 since they came out and have never had that issue. At one time I had about twenty magazines.

Seems like my 908 could seat 8+1.

I would sleep like a baby with 7+1

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post

I would sleep like a baby with 7+1
    I do.

I have one from 1995, seating a full 8 round mag requires some effort, but it is doable. Make sure the top round is loaded all the way to the rear of the mag. when you try to seat it.

How much for your "Seester"? Oh yeah, I'm supposed yo be cutting down on the cocktails....
    Last edited by Tabasco; 01-22-2022 at 12:26 AM.

Site Supporter
    3913LS, 3913, 3953, a stack of magazines. Still have the 3913 and most of the magazines, including a few still in the wrap. None I’ve tried have exhibited that issue, but 7+1 wouldn’t bother me overmuch, that’s how many fit in the 4516 and I like it quite well.

Actually, one of the things I’ve always liked about the 39xx S&W and why I measure all other “personal-sized” compact 9mms against it is the magazines: they seem to always work, don’t walk rounds out no matter how they are carried, and are easy to use.

There is a reason why, of all the guns I auditioned to replace the 3913, the one that stuck is the G26: the magazines always seem to work, don’t walk rounds out no matter how they are carried, and are easy to use.

Not giving up the 3913 or 4516, though.

I carried a 3913 for a few years. No longer have the gun, but still have two of the magazines (if anyone is interested).

With the slide forward, I could always seat a fully loaded 8 round magazine.

I’d have to guess the issue is with the two magazines that you have. If it were me, I’d take the magazines apart to ensure they were assembled correctly. But I was always able to get 8+1 . In it’s time, the 3913 and 3943 were popular off-duty pistols at my agency. I never heard of anyone having issues seating a fully loaded magazine with the slide forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I carried a 3913 for a few years. No longer have the gun, but still have two of the magazines (if anyone is interested).

With the slide forward, I could always seat a fully loaded 8 round magazine.

I’d have to guess the issue is with the two magazines that you have. If it were me, I’d take the magazines apart to ensure they were assembled correctly. But I was always able to get 8+1 . In it’s time, the 3913 and 3943 were popular off-duty pistols at my agency. I never heard of anyone having issues seating a fully loaded magazine with the slide forward.
    I'm interested.

The mags have been taken apart and cleaned several times.

I have two more on the way ($75 each!), may be interested in more.
    Last edited by MichaelOrick; 01-25-2022 at 02:10 PM.

Have you tried pressing the mag release while pushing the mag in to seat it?

I've never had this issue with a 3rd Gen Smith, but on a 1911 before, where the mag release notch on a mag was a little bit low relatively to the mag release, where you just can't quite get the mag to lock in. But sometimes if you press the mag release it relieves enough pressure to give you a bit of extra wiggle to seat the mag.

I think all of my 3913 mags are 8-rounders. I certainly don't recall having this problem before.

User Tag List