Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Safeties.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what started it, but I've noticed a number of recent trainer comments on social media regarding proper use of the Staccato grip safety. They all seem to be addressing a rise in new users pinning the Staccato grip safety with a rubber band or other device.
    I’ve seen that debate on some 1911 forums for awhile. The argument for deactivating the grip safety is usually proffered with some old photos of Marine Recon or the Army SMU with their grip safeties covered by 100mph tape or ranger bands.

There’s a deeper tale in there somewhere but I don’t know it, or care to learn it.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I'm not quite sure what started it, but I've noticed a number of recent trainer comments on social media regarding proper use of the Staccato grip safety. They all seem to be addressing a rise in new users pinning the Staccato grip safety with a rubber band or other device.
    Weellllll, just drug out my circa '19 model. It has a hump on the base of the beavertail, like all of my old 1911s (5" & Commander) do. Using the bump, with or without gloves, I can't recall (keyword) issues of not getting grip safety depressed.

In addition to the mil examples, I'm pretty sure that at least one of Reitz's pistols in his book has the grip safety taped down.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I’ve seen that debate on some 1911 forums for awhile. The argument for deactivating the grip safety is usually proffered with some old photos of Marine Recon or the Army SMU with their grip safeties covered by 100mph tape or ranger bands.

There’s a deeper tale in there somewhere but I don’t know it, or care to learn it.
    I’ll go there.

I think the strongest argument for omitting the grip safety is that most people using 1911’s aren’t early 20th century cavalry soldiers who are adopting the first ever auto-loading pistol and are afraid they might have an AD while the pistol is bouncing around on their lanyard after they dropped it while riding a horse.

We’ve had 112 years of pistol use since then and except for a couple of fringe designs grip safeties have been left off of pretty much every other handgun that’s ever been adopted by any military or police agency. What they do best is disable your gun if you get a shitty grip.

ETA: on a concealed carry gun it’s also just another ingress point for sweat and dirt that I’ll have to clean out.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 01-20-2022 at 09:44 PM.

I'm certainly familiar with examples of the 1911 grip safety being pinned by users in the past; just not sure why both Hilton Yam and Scott Jedinski/AJ Zito (discussed during their most recent podcast) have felt it necessary to opine on it specifically in regards to the Staccato recently.
    http://instagram.com/tv/CXMu_g0pnyl/

http://instagram.com/p/CXLj1HXrWwF/
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 01-20-2022 at 09:56 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I'm certainly familiar with examples of the 1911 grip safety being pinned by users in the past; just not sure why both Hilton Yam and Scott Jedinski/AJ Zito (discussed during their most recent podcast) have felt it necessary to opine on it specifically in regards to the Staccato recently.

That was like 30 seconds of content stretched out to 15 minutes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    @BehindBlueI's - could you have manipulated the bale or thumb break with that injury? If you could, why wouldn't that have translated to being able to use a thumb safety? If you couldn't have, then would the presence of a thumb safety have mattered?

When my old org was much more 1911 centric, we showed working the safety with the support thumb or gear.

With the exception of about three & a half years carrying a Glock (yes, I still hate myself ), I carried pistols with thumb safeties - 1911a1s and M&Ps - as my primary for pushing 28 years. I've had fingers busted, dislocated, & chunks bitten out of them.

It has been interesting to watch the rise of the Stacattos without the commentary about thumb safeties. Based on commentary from some competitors, I wonder how many are using the thumb safety appropriately?
    I’m thumb safety neutral in that I believe you either train to use them all the time (which is fine) or you are better off without them.

Using a safety equipped gun but not using the safety, or worse “sometimes” using the safety is problematic.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

This discussion makes me feel old, because I remember the last time it was a big fucking deal, which I believe coincided with Reagan running for his second term. Hopefuly I won't live long enough to hear the next round.

-If you don't like manual safeties, buy a pistol that doesn't have one
    -If you like them, make sure you can use it all the time
    -If you deactivate a safety, be prepared to explain it to a jury of your peers and pray that they buy your story

Now can we bury this horse?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post

I have no issues with a 1911 style thumb safety, as I’ve used one in USPSA for near 30 years now. When I grip any gun, my thumb comes down on the safety, whether it’s there or not. (I’ve also done the panic brake with the left foot looking for a non existing pedal )

However, the grip safety is a no go. When I got my Les Baer 9mm, I decided to leave the grip safety operational. However, I did tune it so it disengaged with the slightest amount of pressure. About half way through the season, I was at a steel challenge match. I had no issues in any of the more precise stages, but on the fastest stage, Smoke and Hope, I had TWO failures to disengage the grip safety. Imagine that, the stage where you’re pushing for the fastest draw, and with a grip safety tuned to need half the travel as the factory setting. And, if the SHTF, you’re going to be fast / panic drawing.

After that match, the grip safety got deactivated. Since that is a non business gun, there I don’t see any issues. However, for a defensive use firearm, I feel disabling a factory safety has too many risk factors. I am very grateful to Bill Wilson for not including this outdated feature on his EDC X9 line (or whatever he’s calling them these days).

That was fun. To be fair, he could have acknowledged not everyone who might "tape" the grip safety is going to use a rubber band but something way more robust. But what the heck.

After watching it I found my SA 1911s grip safeties release in that quarter to a third of travel like his tuned gun but my CQB doesn't until 100%. And that's the only 1911 I've run into issues getting. I've trained around it for the range but hadn't planned on carrying it for that reason. I'll get around to having that addressed one of these days this year.

With so many SA designs without grip safeties including the Wilson EDC line up, the BHP, etc I can't see getting worked up about anyone taping their 1911s. Plus hearing from a trusted eye witness that SMU 1911s getting taped was not a one off in a pic but not uncommon among them where "accountability" is extreme. I didn't say all or most, just not uncommon. For individual reasons which is sort of how hands are.
    Last edited by JHC; 01-21-2022 at 06:44 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I need to take my 1911's to the range and try some different grip techniques that I learned recently.

I've got one Colt 38 Super that works perfectly each and every time always. However every other 1911 I've got will occasionally, some more than others, failed to deactivate the grip safety.

Recently watched a YouTube video on the Wilson Combat Channel and Mas was demonstrating some different grip techniques with some of them specifically designed to Aid with the deactivation of the grip safety. I've always grown up hearing that you have to, have to, 100% always, ride the thumb safety, or else you'll get struck by lightning. Turns out there are other techniques out there, and they've been around for a while, but just aren't talked about much anymore.

User Tag List