Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Safeties.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I agree to an extent, which is why I said it could be argued that the dude in the post made a timing mistake. However, I do think it’s something to be aware of/ think about before hand if your are using a pistol with a safety.
    You replied before I was done editing LOL.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    What if, for whatever off chance, you needed the gun and the safety happened to be on, are you trained enough to disengage it?

One of my early carry guns was a Beretta 92 compact. My thumbs are too short to reach the safety without awkwardly contorting my grip. Being the gun is DA, perfectly safety to carry hammer down safety off. While it was a very rare occasion, every once in a while when taking the gun off for the day, I’d find the safety was on. If I needed it that day, I’d probably be screwed. I wound up regretfully selling it and moving on. If only Beretta was making the G conversion back then. (I now have and frequently carry a 92G compact - actual G. Fixed what I lost, but at nearly3 times the cost).

I have a Shield with safety too, so I understand how it’d be much more unlikely to inadvertently activate. Still, one could forget. YMMV.
    Unintentionally engaging a Shield's safety is the biggest risk with my way of using the gun. You and I have both acknowledged a Shield's safety is highly unlikely to be inadvertently activated. Nevertheless, you want to know how to protect against, or "train" for, that unlikely event.

The risk of a Shield's safety being inadvertently engaged is too small for me to worry about. I do not try to "train" for that unlikely event any more than I try to protect myself against being hit in the head by a particle of space debris.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    In my experience the LEM sucks

The trigger like on the Sig p250 would be much more ideal.

But all the wizards on the internet preach splits..... Police department budget don't allow for adequate training especially for the LEM.

A PPQ /P320 is much easier to qualify people on and and the department has reduced its liability when everyone passes the required qualification. YMMV
    All true but only half the story.

A PPQ/P320 trigger also makes it easier /more likely “people” will hit what they are trying to hit in the real world. Because in the real world there is no such thing as a mess, every round fired that doesn’t hit the intended target hits something else.

A marginal shooter anticipating under stress and putting rounds onto a hard surface like concrete or asphalt means those rounds are going to skip off and go… Somewhere and hit something.

IME LEM and DAO triggers may favor shooters in the middle of the bell curve in terms of admin handling but definitely not in terms of performance. If they are switching between LEM and another trigger-system such as an off-duty Glock it only gets worse. Shooting in LEM at a reasonably high-level requires a form of trigger monogamy.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    All true but only half the story.

A PPQ/P320 trigger also makes it easier /more likely “people” will hit what they are trying to hit in the real world. Because in the real world there is no such thing as a mess, every round fired that doesn’t hit the intended target hits something else.

A marginal shooter anticipating under stress and putting rounds onto a hard surface like concrete or asphalt means those rounds are going to skip off and go… Somewhere and hit something.

IME LEM and DAO triggers may favor shooters in the middle of the bell curve in terms of admin handling but definitely not in terms of performance. If they are switching between LEM and another trigger-system such as an off-duty Glock it only gets worse. Shooting in LEM at a reasonably high-level requires a form of trigger monogamy.
    So....(not being sarcastic) is a PDP type trigger with great finger discipline the best chance of hits on target still keeping in mind AD's etc? In other words a much easier trigger for limited resource people or depts. In your opinion? (asking because I value the experience you bring)

Or as has been said "its easier to shoot when you want and easier to shoot when you don't want"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    So....(not being sarcastic) is a PDP type trigger with great finger discipline the best chance of hits on target still keeping in mind AD's etc? In other words a much easier trigger for limited resource people or depts. In your opinion? (asking because I value the experience you bring)

Or as has been said "its easier to shoot when you want and easier to shoot when you don't want"
    Theoretically but in practice it’s been easier to shoot when you want to and about the same when you don’t want to.

Quote Originally Posted by gc70 View Post
    Unintentionally engaging a Shield's safety is the biggest risk with my way of using the gun. You and I have both acknowledged a Shield's safety is highly unlikely to be inadvertently activated. Nevertheless, you want to know how to protect against, or "train" for, that unlikely event.

The risk of a Shield's safety being inadvertently engaged is too small for me to worry about. I do not try to "train" for that unlikely event any more than I try to protect myself against being hit in the head by a particle of space debris.
    Cue Mr Murphy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Cue Mr Murphy.....
    What do you use to protect yourself from falling space debris?

It is impossible to protect against all potential risks. The best any of us can do is evaluate potential risks and protect against the more probable ones that are in our power to mitigate.

It is impossible to protect against all potential risks. The best any of us can do is evaluate potential risks and protect against the more probable ones that are in our power to mitigate.
    While I'm still working on my "Armageddon" response plan, its simple enough to run a couple reps of weapon failure drills, to include "Weapon fails to fire: Ensure safety selector is OFF." That might come second to "Tap, Rack, Reassess," but but it would be on the list. The Mr. Murphy comment was only half in jest. As the helicopter pilot once said, "The more thinking you do before things get exciting, the less exciting things will be."

10,000,000,000 Volt Electric Magnet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=915DIqG-hPc
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-23-2022 at 09:03 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    10,000,000,000 Volt Electric Magnet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=915DIqG-hPc
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk5O6F3qwOE

Between Doc and Wiley, this ought be solid solution. Next problem....

User Tag List