Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington R51?

Remington R51?

When @RevolverRob and I went shooting on Monday Rob's keen eye saw a pistol magazine in the snow.

Name:  81869D0E-13C1-49CE-885C-5998350FE546.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  52.4 KB

Name:  77770A31-565C-4509-BDF4-B52015134562.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  43.9 KB

I am almost certain it is a Remington R51 magazine. Thoughts?

It is a shame that the R51 had all of the issues it did. It is a gun that is pleasant to my eye, BUT (and it is a big one) function rule the day over form.

If anyone needs a magazine for a R51 (or what ever this magazine is for), shoot me a PM and I can send it off to you.

It sure looks like it. With the reputation those things have, maybe go back to the snow drift and see if you can find the rest of the gun in there?

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    It sure looks like it. With the reputation those things have, maybe go back to the snow drift and see if you can find the rest of the gun in there?

I really wanted to see that gun be a winner back in the day.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

Same. I have a nostalgic streak a mile wide, and the original Model 51 was handsome and useful.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Me, too. But I'm glad I stuck with my preference to be some distance behind the leading edge.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post

If anyone needs a magazine for a R51 (or what ever this magazine is for), shoot me a PM and I can send it off to you.

You have just stumbled upon the perfect methodology for generating ignore lists on gun forums.

We could generate forum specific lists and then share them out in an email or something. It would be safe to leave the metaphorical house again. You could probably charge good money for those lists.

Site Supporter
    a buddy of mine danced around with a R51 for better part of two years. Basically it worked almost perfect with 6 rounds of hot FMJ, but try to put 7 rounds in it, or load JHPs and things got questionable fast. Vexing little bugger because it would work fine for 30-40 rounds and you would think it might be sorted out and then it would choke again. He tried different magazine springs, different followers, nothing changed it. Remington said it needed +p Golden Sabers to work, so he traded me out of an old stash of those and it still didn't work consistently with them. They should have just made a new version of the original 51 with better sights and called it good.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    a buddy of mine danced around with a R51 for better part of two years. Basically it worked almost perfect with 6 rounds of hot FMJ, but try to put 7 rounds in it, or load JHPs and things got questionable fast. Vexing little bugger because it would work fine for 30-40 rounds and you would think it might be sorted out and then it would choke again. He tried different magazine springs, different followers, nothing changed it. Remington said it needed +p Golden Sabers to work, so he traded me out of an old stash of those and it still didn't work consistently with them. They should have just made a new version of the original 51 with better sights and called it good.
    That's such a ballsy dick move by Remington that I almost admire it. "Yeah our shit gun won't work because you haven't bought our premium-priced ammo that is somewhat outdated itself but costs more than HST."
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    That's such a ballsy dick move by Remington that I almost admire it. "Yeah our shit gun won't work because you haven't bought our premium-priced ammo that is somewhat outdated itself but costs more than HST."
    That was my take on it too, and I told him that. When he reported to them that it still wouldn't work reliably with those I think Remington sent him a couple more magazines that were supposed to be new and improved. Looked exactly like the old ones.

Don’t let the plethora of bad press influence you. There’s no comparison between the first gen and late second gen guns.

I have a second gen, later production R51 with the second gen magazines. The magazines seem to be the weak link on the updated guns. In my experience, slightly over 300 rounds of various ammos, mostly bulk ball but also some abbreviated tests with 6 different quality defensive ammos, the gun is no better or worse than a G43.

I’ve had a couple of failure to feeds with mine. It’s reliable enough to keep as a curiosity and range toy but just not quite there to trust to carry, imo. I trust it enough to run a magazine of 124 grain HSTs in a pinch but I have plenty of better choices.

I had the opportunity to let some other shooters run rounds through it as well.

One compared recoil and handling similar to a P365.
    All found accuracy acceptable.
    All found the recoil to be a bit snappy but none felt it was unmanageable. Speaking personally, I found lit a lot less painful to shoot than a PF-9.

We compared it to the following pistols:
    Sig P239
    Sig P225/P6
    S&W 3913
    All three were more comfortable to shoot. We should have included a Shield in the mix but didn’t think about it until afterwards.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List