Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 Modification & Reference

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Does anyone know what size wrench is used for the front sight retaining nut?
    5.5mm, and I strongly suggest getting a thin midget wrench instead of going with the typical bicycle style wrench you usually find in that size.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09927Q75J...D20H0110T03KWC

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FB2XDXF...RQ72R18T4JC89W

I have what I believe is that bottom set marked with the Gear Wrench brand name and having done installs with the 5.5mm wrench in that set vs. the typical option, there is absolutely no comparison. Buy the midget wrench set and make your life easier.

Note that any old 5.5mm wrench won't cut it, as standard wrenches are too thick to fit under the front sight base to get at the locking nut holding the sight on. The roughly 2mm width of the wrenches linked allows you to get on the nut easily. Anything thicker than that and life will suck.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 01-26-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    5.5mm, and I strongly suggest getting a thin midget wrench instead of going with the typical bicycle style wrench you usually find in that size.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FB2XDXF...RQ72R18T4JC89W

I have that set marked with the Gear Wrench brand name and having done installs with the 5.5mm wrench in that set vs. the typical option, there is absolutely no comparison. Buy the midget wrench set and make your life easier.

Note that any old 5.5mm wrench won't cut it, as standard wrenches are too thick to fit under the front sight base to get at the locking nut holding the sight on.
    Perfect - ordered. Thank you!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Does anyone know what size wrench is used for the front sight retaining nut?
    I am old enough to have bought a Craftsman tool set that included a set of "ignition wrenches", from way back when ignition systems were mechanical devices. There was a size in there that was close enough.

ETA: Exactly as was linked, one of the inch sizes did work.

Quote Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
    It might be worth including the Beretta Pro lifter and one piece Titanium charging handle. I sourced both from the UK.

Pro Lifter:
    https://magload.co.uk/product/berett...ter-hold-down/

One Piece Titanium Charging Handle:
    https://www.customguns.co.uk/product...release-handle
    Any significant advantage/disadvantage to the pro lifter? Does it change any of the standard functions?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Any significant advantage/disadvantage to the pro lifter? Does it change any of the standard functions?
    The Pro lifter stays in the up position so you don't have to push it up while loading. The gate is less likely to catch your fingers and is faster.

Ghost loading is more difficult but still possible.

Does anyone know if the Nordic barrel clamp fits the guns with factory mag extensions?

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/be...icatinny-rail/

Also, if anyone was eyeing the factory barrel clamp and wondering if that's an MLOK slot on it, well, its the exact dimensions of an MLOK slot, and it's kinda where you would WANT an MLOK slot, but it doesn't have the channel cut out inside to keep the retaining piece in place while you tighten the screws on an MLOK accessory. Sometimes, Beretta...

Join FPC

@TCinVA is the Streamlight 870 mount supposed to be held on by anything other than the pressure from the mag extension? I put one on my GenII with factory extension (pictured exactly in previous post), the magazine cap previously used a detent like most shotguns that keeps it on tight, but with the Streamlight mount its just holding on by pressure now. And since I can't get a lot of torque on the extension cover, if I try hard I can twist the mount around. I am not sure it or the cap is going to stay on during recoil. Have you had any experience with this, or does it fit better on the 5 round guns without the extension (or with the Nordic extensions)?

As an alternative data point, this part from GG&G works far better on my setup: https://www.gggaz.com/beretta-1301-s...ght-mount.html. It includes a detent that interfaces with the mag cover, and is so far tighter and more stable, and it also sits closer to the side of the gun while the Streamlight mount had the light sitting an inch or more off the gun. It's also metal instead of polymer.

Might want to add that as an option in the first post, at least for folks with the guns with factory mag extensions.
    Last edited by ScotchMan; 02-08-2022 at 12:46 PM.
    Join FPC

1301/clamp

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Does anyone know if the Nordic barrel clamp fits the guns with factory mag extensions?

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/be...icatinny-rail/

Also, if anyone was eyeing the factory barrel clamp and wondering if that's an MLOK slot on it, well, its the exact dimensions of an MLOK slot, and it's kinda where you would WANT an MLOK slot, but it doesn't have the channel cut out inside to keep the retaining piece in place while you tighten the screws on an MLOK accessory. Sometimes, Beretta...

No. I have both set ups and the Nordic clamp won’t fit on the factory extension model. Close, but no.
    I decided NOT to use my Nordic Clamp and NOT to use the newer clamp on the 7 round factory tube model.
    The machine screws on the factory long tube clamp are weak and probably number 6. People are complaining that with a light etc on a modified clamp (that m slot is a joke and has to be drilled) the clamp was coming loose after 50 rounds. You really DON’T need the clamp
    other than a place for use a forward sling on the Sling QD that works but a better option is too leave it off and buy a. GG&G combo sling mount left side and picitiny rail right side that FITS UNDER THE MAGAZINE NUT and as a bonus it bumps that magazine Space longer for getting shell number 7 in the tube. On the Nordic clamp all it does is scratch the barrel. You just don’t need these clamps. Look at Aridus Facebook Page and see the line up of 1301s that were stacked for a lunch break during a match and none of them have those forward clamps. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
    No. I have both set ups and the Nordic clamp won’t fit on the factory extension model. Close, but no.
    I decided NOT to use my Nordic Clamp and NOT to use the newer clamp on the 7 round factory tube model.
    The machine screws on the factory long tube clamp are weak and probably number 6. People are complaining that with a light etc on a modified clamp (that m slot is a joke and has to be drilled) the clamp was coming loose after 50 rounds. You really DON’T need the clamp
    other than a place for use a forward sling on the Sling QD that works but a better option is too leave it off and buy a. GG&G combo sling mount left side and picitiny rail right side that FITS UNDER THE MAGAZINE NUT and as a bonus it bumps that magazine Space longer for getting shell number 7 in the tube. On the Nordic clamp all it does is scratch the barrel. You just don’t need these clamps. Look at Aridus Facebook Page and see the line up of 1301s that were stacked for a lunch break during a match and none of them have those forward clamps. Bob
    Yeah I dropped my factory clamp already, unneeded weight since the factory extension is one piece (and I'm dubious whether clamps are needed for two piece extensions anyway). And yeah I agree the Beretta clamp looks cheap and I think is only there for the sling mount.

I was only asking about the Nordic because I've been fighting to find a cost-effective way to get a light on the thing, but I am quite happy with the GG&G option (pending test fire).

I also dropped the rear sight assembly, more unnecessary weight, since I can get combat-accurate hits using my optic as a large ghost ring with my front sight. POI seems to be about 2 inches above POA using that method at 10 yards. Cleans up my optic's sight picture too.
    Last edited by ScotchMan; 02-08-2022 at 04:28 PM.
    Join FPC

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    @TCinVA is the Streamlight 870 mount supposed to be held on by anything other than the pressure from the mag extension?
    No. It's held on there by the mag cap or an extension.

The magazine cap/magazine tube normally loosens up when shot. During the course of a class (usually 100-250 rounds) it's normal to have to tighten down a mag cap/tube. That being said, with the Nordic extension on my gun I've not had the need to tighten the mag tube in the middle of a session. I just cinch it down where it won't easily tighten any more and it stays put very well. You don't want to apply a lot of torque to the magazine tube.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List