Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 Modification & Reference

Someone on another forum used a propane torch and burned the tube like a beer can in a campfire.

I have a 5rd tube coming so I guess I'll be the guinea pig. I have a heat gun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
    Someone on another forum used a propane torch and burned the tube like a beer can in a campfire.

I have a 5rd tube coming so I guess I'll be the guinea pig. I have a heat gun though.
    I got the factory 7rd tube to 240F and was unable to get it out by hand. Knipex Cobras got it out but it is ruined. Oh well, the 5rd tube screwed right in.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Original post has been added to cover magazine followers and why I recommend sticking with the factory follower. Everything else available at the moment causes problems.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Original post has been added to cover magazine followers and why I recommend sticking with the factory follower. Everything else available at the moment causes problems.
    Well that really sucks as a new USA-made follower is one of the parts swaps for 922R.

Is the OEM follower lacking in some way? Apparently its out performing all the aftermarket versions...
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter

Beretta 1301 Modification & Reference

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Is the OEM follower lacking in some way? Apparently its out performing all the aftermarket versions...
    The OEM follower functions well, but lacks much visual and tactile difference from a live round, making it more difficult to verify the gun is unloaded. That, and it’s made in Italy, so it doesn’t help the 922r parts count. (not sure if this changed on the new factory extended tube guns)

For comparison, the Vang follower has a large hole in the center that is easy to feel, even in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    The OEM follower functions well, but lacks much visual and tactile difference from a live round, making it more difficult to verify the gun is unloaded. That, and it’s made in Italy, so it doesn’t help the 922r parts count. (not sure if this changed on the new factory extended tube guns)

For comparison, the Vang follower has a large hole in the center that is easy to feel, even in the dark.
    I just stuck with the OEM follower and drilled a 7/32 hole for the tactile verification. Works fine!

I went with the plus one extension to keep the weight down at the end of the barrel.
    That gives me 5 rounds of 2 3/4 shells in the tube and the follower only reaches the end of tube while the spring occupies the extension.
    With this setup the follower is only traveling within the magazine tube without transitioning into the extension.

Name:  E0224E71-8C58-4BC9-B125-E7E2D9B02701.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  87.9 KB
    Last edited by Paul Blackburn; 06-01-2022 at 07:23 PM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    I went with the plus one extension to keep the weight down at the end of the barrel.
    That gives me 5 rounds of 2 3/4 shells in the tube and the follower only reaches the end of tube while the spring occupies the extension.
    With this setup the follower is only traveling within the magazine tube without transitioning into the extension.

Name:  E0224E71-8C58-4BC9-B125-E7E2D9B02701.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  87.9 KB
    That should reduce chances of the non-factory follower from biting you. That being said, I encourage testing it thoroughly.

When I want to test the function of a shotgun I will mag dump it a few times to see if I notice anything off in how it's working. It's remarkably effective at highlighting problems.
    3/15/2016

I removed the Vangcomp follower from my 870 and compared it to the 1301 follower. The Vangcomp is noticeably heavier and has deep grooves. Also the 1301 spring does not fit inside the Vancomp follower. This could definitely cause problems especially at the extension transition.

Speaking of the Nordic extension, I borescope the transition area and its looks to me like if a problem is going occur with the follower it would only happen when the spring and follower are compressed into the extension, the sticking point would be the transition area back into the magazine tube as the spring decompresses.

As for the OEM 1301 follower I enlarged the center hole with a 1/4 drill bit for better tactile verification.

User Tag List