Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 Modification & Reference

For those of you who bought the Nordic Component +2 mag extension, what length did you cut down the 48 inches spring that came with the kit down to? The factor 5 rd spring was 30 inches long. My first instinct was to shove all 48 inches into the hole (phrasing).

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I went down to whatever length would allow me to put seven shells in the tube and still allow the shells to move forward a little.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Speaking of the Nordic extension, I borescope the transition area and its looks to me like if a problem is going occur with the follower it would only happen when the spring and follower are compressed into the extension, the sticking point would be the transition area back into the magazine tube as the spring decompresses.
    Yup, and this is where a clamp makes it even more probable. I put a longer tube on my 391 for three gun and "tested" it by shooting skeet (loading only two shells...) and when I showed up for three gun and tried to fully load it I couldn't even get the shells IN past the transition. Fortunately this happened when I was preloading and fortunately my buddy had the tool I needed in his kit bag, but learning occurred and I just quit using the clamp (the same tube is over on my 1301C now with no problems).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    For those of you who bought the Nordic Component +2 mag extension, what length did you cut down the 48 inches spring that came with the kit down to? The factor 5 rd spring was 30 inches long. My first instinct was to shove all 48 inches into the hole (phrasing).
    I think I shoved it all in the first time too (phasing), but their instructions indicate starting with 14" (phrasing?):

Name:  nordic 1.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  25.8 KB

They also indicate that the tube should be loose to allow the clamp to pull it out of alignment, seems like a good reason not to use the clamps:

Name:  nordic 2.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  17.2 KB

^^^ If you don't leave the extension a turn loose but instead fully tighten it then the clamp will force the barrel and extension towards each other... The thicker barrel will probably not flex much but I don't think any downward pressure on the barrel like that would be a good thing.
    For the life of me I don't understand why they didn't just make the clamp fit correctly with the tube fully tight.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    For the life of me I don't understand why they didn't just make the clamp fit correctly with the tube fully tight.
    I think the clamp is universal, so it is different not only on various barrels, but even depending on placement (the barrels are tapered). In my case I used the clamp with no problem on my 391 with a +3 and a +4, then with a +6 and the clamp farther forward it starting causing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think the clamp is universal, so it is different not only on various barrels, but even depending on placement (the barrels are tapered). In my case I used the clamp with no problem on my 391 with a +3 and a +4, then with a +6 and the clamp farther forward it starting causing problems.
    That's the thing... They have a separate universal clamp in their catalog and it's not the same as their 1301 clamp. Trust me, I ordered one just to experiment... It's very similar but their 1301 clamp seems to only come with that 1301 kit.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I thought the reason to leave the extension (not the adapter nut) a half thread or so loose was to accommodate thermal expansion and vibration of the barrel without it being pulled by the magazine tube and screwing with POI.

I found the 1301 clamp fits nicely, but I previously tried the universal clamp on an 870 and it didn't fit: the spacing between barrel and mag tube was wrong. I thought that was pretty lame. If the 870 isn't universal, nothing is.

I might mess with this issue. I would be surprised if there is any problem with chamfering the ID of the mag tube and extension a hair so shells can slide smoothly in either direction.

I've seen lots of instances in the gun world where people put parts together and have an issue, so they decide that combination isn't going to work, where in reality, it may work very well with just a little adjustment.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    That's the thing... They have a separate universal clamp in their catalog and it's not the same as their 1301 clamp. Trust me, I ordered one just to experiment... It's very similar but their 1301 clamp seems to only come with that 1301 kit.
    I believe that is correct, I noticed the same (funky) thing.
    I was persistent in using the clamp (I tried Boss, I really tried...) but am now in the camp that says the tube is pretty durable without trying it to the barrel.
    Now my setup is a +3 on my 1301C and it peeks out just past the extended choke on a 21" gun, but in three gun they get some abuse and the tube probably takes it better than the barrel, without the clamp.

I lock-tite'd the extension together and tossed the clamp in the parts bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    The OEM follower functions well, but lacks much visual and tactile difference from a live round, making it more difficult to verify the gun is unloaded. That, and it’s made in Italy, so it doesn’t help the 922r parts count. (not sure if this changed on the new factory extended tube guns)

For comparison, the Vang follower has a large hole in the center that is easy to feel, even in the dark.
    Name:  thumbnail_Image.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  33.2 KB

Here is the OEM follower with the center hole enlarged with a 1/4 drill bit.

After being modified it might count as a 922r part? Based on the batfe logic, putting a NFA AR upper on an AR lower makes you a manufacturer.

On the Vangcomp follower, the Beretta magazine spring doesn't fit inside the follower cup.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

User Tag List